On the advice of Vibhishana, Lakshmana releases a multiple of arrows towards Indrajit. A fight ensues between bears monkeys and demons. Hearing the terrible noise of the battle, Indrajit discontinues his sacrificial rite and enters the battle-field. Hanuma with trees as weapons, plays havoc among the demons and challenges Indrajit to a duel. Lakshmana catches sight of Indrajit, coming in his chariot.
अथ तस्यामवस्थायां लक्ष्मणं रावणानुजः |
परेषामहितं वाक्यमर्थसाधकमब्रवीत् || ६-८६-१
1. tasyaam avasthaayaam = In that situation; raavaNaanujaH = Vibhishana; atha = then; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words; ahitam = which were hostile; pareShaam = to the enemies; artha saadhakam = and which promoted an advantage (to Lakshmana).
In that situation, Vibhishana then spoke the following words, which were hostile to the enemies and advantageous to Lakshmana.
यदेतद्राक्षसानीकं मेघश्यामं विलोक्यते |
एतदायोध्यतां शीग्रम्ं कपिभिश्च शिलायुधैः || ६-८६-२
2. yat yetat raakShasaaniikam = = Let this army of demons; vilokyate = which is seen here; meghashyaamam = dark as a cloud; shiighram etat aayodhyataam = be quickly engaged in this battle; kapibhiH = by the monkeys; shilaayudhaiH = using rocks as their weapons.
"Let this army of demons which is seen here, dark as a cloud, be quickly engaged in battle, by the monkeys using rocks as thier weapons."
अस्यानीकस्य महतो भेदने यतलक्ष्मण |
राक्षसेन्द्रसुतोऽप्यत्र भिन्ने दृश्यो भविष्यति || ६-८६-३
3. lakShmaNa = O Lakshmana!; yata = make an effort; bhedane = to break; asya mahataH aniikasya = this mighty army; atra bhinne = while this army is borken; raakShasendra sutaH.api = Indrajit also; dR^ishyaH bhaviShyati = will become visible.
"O Lakshmana! Make an effort to break this mighty army. When this army is destroyed, Indrajit also will become visible."
स त्वमिन्द्राशनिप्रख्यैः शरैरवकिरन्परान् |
अभिद्रवाशु यावद्वै नैतत्कर्म समाप्यते || ६-८६-४
4. saH tvam = you as such; abhidrava vai = rush forward; aashu = quickly; avakiran = gushing out; sharaiH = arrows; indraashaniprakhyaiH = equal to Indra's thunderbolt; paraan = on the enemies; etat = so long as; etat = this; karma = sacrificial act; na samaapyate = is not carried through.
"You as such, rush forward quickly, gushing out arrows, equal to Indra's thunderbolt, on the enemies, so long as this sacrificial act of Indrajit is not actually carried through."
जहि वीरदुरात्मानं मायापरमधार्मिकम् |
रावणिं क्रूरकर्माणं सर्वलोकभयावहम् || ६-८६-५
5. viira = O hero!; jahi = kill; raavaNim = Indrajit; duraatmanam = the evil-minded; maayaaparam = who is interested in doing conjuring tricks; adharmikam = who is unjust; kruura karmaaNam = engaged in cruel acts; sarvaloka bhayaavaham = and who brings fear to all the worlds.
"O hero! Make a short work of Indrajit, the evil minded, who is interested in performing conjuring tricks, who is unjust, engaged in cruel acts and who brings fear to all the worlds."
विभीषणवचः श्रुत्वा लक्ष्मणः शुभलक्षणः |
ववर्ष शरवर्षाणि राक्षसेन्द्रसुतं प्रति || ६-८६-६
6. shrutvaa = hearing; vibhiiShaNa vachaH = the words of Vibhishana; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; shubhalakShaNaH = having auspicious marks; vavarSha = showered frth; sharavarShaaNi = streams of arrows; raakShasendrasutam prati = towards Indrajit.
Hearing the words of Vibhishana, Lakshmana, having auspicious marks, showered forth streams of arrows in the direction of Indrajit.
ऋक्षाः शाखामृगाश्चैव द्रुमाद्रिवरयोधिनः |
अभ्यधावन्त सहितास्तदनीकमवस्थितम् || ६-८६-७
7. R^ikShaaH = bears; shaakhaamR^igaishchaiva = and monkeys; druma pravara yodhinaH = who fight with gigantic trees; abhyadhaavanta = rushed towards; tat aaniikam = that army (of demons); avasthitam = who were drawn up in battle-array; sahitaaH = together.
Bears and monkeys, who fight was gigantic trees, rushed towards that army of demons, drawn up in battle-array.
राक्षसाश्च शितैर्बाणैरसिभिः शक्तितोमरैः |
अभ्यवर्तन्त समवरे कपिसैन्यजिघांसवः || ६-८६-८
8. raakShasaaH cha = Demons also; kapisainya jighaamsavaH = with an intent to kill the monkeys; samare = in battle; abhyavartanta = attacked; shitaiH baaNaiH = with sharp arrows; asibhiH = swords; shaktitomaraiH = spears and javelins.
The demons too, with an intent to kill the monkeys in battle, attacked them with sharp arrows, sowrds, spears and javelins.
स सम्प्रहारस्तुमुलः सञ्जज्ञे कपिरक्षसाम् |
शब्देन महता लङ्कां नादयन्वै समन्ततः || ६-८६-९
9. mahataa shabdena = with a great uproar; saH = that; tumulaH = tumultuous; samprahaaraH = battle; samjaJNe = occured; kapiraakShasaam = between the monkeys and the demons; naadayantvai = reverberating; laN^kaam = Lanka; samantataH = on all sides.
That tumultuous battle between the monkeys and the demons rendered Lanka noisy on all sides with its great uproar.
शस्त्रैर्बहुविधाकारैः शितैर्बाणैश्च पादपैः |
उद्यतैर्गिरिशृङ्गैश्च घोरैराकाशमावृतम् || ६-८६-१०
10. aakaasham = the sky; aavR^itam = was covered; shastraiH = with weapons; vividhaakaaraiH = of various shapes; shitaiH baaNaishcha = with sharp arrows; paadapaiH = with trees; ghoraiH udyataiH girishR^ingaishcha = and with tossed mountain-tops.
The sky was covered with weapons of various shapes, sharp arrows, trees and tossed mountain tops.
ते राक्षसा वानरेषु विकृताननबाहवः |
निवेशयन्तः शस्त्राणि चक्रुस्ते सुमहद्भयम् || ६-८६-११
11. te raakShasaaH = those demons; vikR^itaanana baahavaH = of ugly faces and arms; niveshayantaH = hurling; shastraaNi = weapons; vaanareShu = on monkeys; chakruH sumahat bhayam = created a great fear.
Those demons of ugly faces and arms, hurling weapons on the monkeys, created a great fear.
तथैव सकलैर्वृक्षैर्गिरिशृङ्गैश्च वानराः |
अभिजघ्नुर्निजघ्नुश्च समरे राक्षसर्षभान् || ६-८६-१२
12. vaanaraashcha tathaiva = even monkeys too; abhijaghnuH = struck; jaghnuH = and killed; sarva raakShasaan = all the demons; samare = in the battle; sakalaiH = with all types; vR^ikShaiH = trees; girishR^iNgaishcha = and mountain-peaks.
Even the monkeys too struck and killed all the demons in the battle, with various types of trees and mountain-peaks.
ऋक्षवानरमुख्यैश्च महाकायैर्महाबलैः |
रक्षसां वध्यमानानां महद्भयमजायत || ६-८६-१३
13. mahat = a great; bhayam = fear; ajaayata = developed; rakShasaam = among the demons; yudhyamaanaanaam = who were fighting; mahaabalaiH = with mighty; R^ikSha vaanara mukhyaiH = leaders of bears and monkeys; mahaakaayaiH = possessing collosal bodies.
A great fear developed among the demons who were fighting with mighty leaders of bears and monkeys endowed with colossal bodies.
स्वमनीकं विषण्णं तु श्रुत्वा शत्रुभिरर्दितम् |
उदतिष्ठत दुर्धर्षस्तत्कर्मण्यननुष्ठिते || ६-८६-१४
14. shrutvaa = hearing; svam aniikam = that his own army; arditam = tormented; shatrubhiH = by the enemies; viShaNNam = was dejected; saH durdharShaH = that unconquerable Indrajit; udatiShThata = left off; ananuShThite = without performing; karmaNi = the sacrificial rite.
Hearing that his own army being tormented by the enemies, was dejected; that unconquerable Indrajit left off, without performing the sacrificial rite.
वृक्षान्धकारान्निष्क्रम्य जातक्रोधः स रावणिः |
आरुरोह रथं सज्जं पूर्वयुक्तं स राक्षसः || ६-८६-१५
15. saH = that; jaatakrodhaH = enraged; raavaNiH = Indrajit; nirgamya = coming out; vR^ikShaandhakaraat = from the gloominess of the trees; aaruroha = ascended; ratham = his chariot; sajjam = kept ready; susamyatam = and well-fastened; puurvayuktam = with horss; before hand.
That enraged Indrajit, coming out from the gloominess of the trees, ascended his firmly yoked chariot which had already been united
स भीमकार्मुकशरः कृष्णाञ्जनचयोपमः |
रक्तास्यनयनः क्रूरो बभौ मृत्युरिवान्तकः || ६-८६-१६
16. saH bhiimaH = that awful Indrajit; bhiima kaarmuka sharaH = armed with terrific bow and arrows; kR^iShNaaN^jana chayopamaH = equal to a mass of black collyrium; raktaasyanayanaH = with his blood-red eyes; babhau = shone; antakaH mR^ityuriva = like the destructive Death.
That awful Indrajit, armed with terrific bow and arrows, looking like a mass of black collyrium with his blood-red eyes, appeared like the destructive Death.
दृष्ट्वैव तु रथस्थं तं पर्यवर्तत तद्बलम् |
रक्षसां भीमवेगानां लक्ष्मणेन युयुत्सताम् || ६-८६-१७
17. dR^iShTvaiva = just on seeing; tam = him; rathastham = being on a chariot; tat balam = that army; rakShasaam = of demons; bhiima vegaanaam = with a terrific speed; paryavartata = turned back; lakShmaNena yuyutsataam = wishing to fight with Lakshmana.
Just on seeing Indrajit being on a chariot, that army of demons with a terrific speed, turned back, wishing to fight with Lakshmana.
तस्मिन् काले तु हनुमानुद्यम्य सुदुरासदम् |
धरणीधरसङ्काशी महावृक्षमरिन्दमः || ६-८६-१८
स राक्षसानां तत्सैन्यं कालाग्निरिव निर्दहन् |
चकार बहुभिर्वृक्षैर्निःसंज्ञं युधि वानरः || ६-८६-१९
18; 19. tasmin kaale = At that time; hanumaan = Hanuma; arimdamaH = the destroyer of enemies = dharaNiidhara samkaashaH = looking like a mountain; udyamya = uplifting; suduraasadam = an absolutely unparalleled; mahaavR^ikSham = large tree; nirdahan = consuming; tat = taht; sainyam = army; raakShasaanaam = of demon; kaalaagniriva = like the fire at the time of dissolution of the world; saH vaanaraH = and that aforesaid monkey (Hanuma); chakaara niHsamJNam = made unconscious (the army); bahubhiH vR^ikShaiH = with many trees; yudhi = in the battle.
At that time, Hanuma the destroyer of enemies looking like a mountain, uplifted an absolutely unpaalleled large tree. Consuming that army of demons, as a fire at the time of universal dissolution, the aforesaid monkey made that army unconscious on the battle field, with many trees.
विध्वंसयन्तं तरसा दृष्ट्वैव पवनात्मजम् |
राक्षसानां सहस्राणि हनूमन्तमवाकिरन् || ६-८६-२०
20. dR^iShTvaiva = immediately on seeing; pavanaatmajam = Hanuma; vidhvamsayantam = destroying; tavasaa = (their army) rapidly; sahasraaNi = thousands; raakShasaanaam = of demons; avaakiran = hurled weapons.
Immediately on seeing Hanuma destroying thier army rapidly, thousands of demons hurled weapons on him.
शितशूलधराः शूलैरसिभिश्चासिपाणयः |
शक्तिभिः शक्तिहस्ताश्च पट्टसैः पट्टसायुधाः || ६-८६-२१
परिघैश्च गदाभिश्च कुन्तैश्च शुभदर्शनैः |
शतशश्च शतघ्नीभिरायसैरपि मुद्गरैः || ६-८६-२२
घोरैः परशुभिश्चैव भिण्डिपालैश्च राक्षसाः |
मुष्टिभिर्वज्रवेगैश्च तलैरशनिसंनिभैः || ६-८६-२३
अभिजघ्नुः समासाद्य समन्तात्पर्वतोपमम् |
तेषामपि च सङ्क्रुद्धश्चकार कदनं महत् || ६-८६-२४
21; 22; 23; 24. samaasaadya = approaching; parvatopamam = Hanuma looking like a mountain; raakShasaaH shta shuuladharaaH = demons bearing pointed pikes; abhiaghnuH = struck him; samantataat = from all sides; shuulaaH = with pikes; asi paaNayaH = those = carrying swords in hands; asibhiH cha = with swords; shaktihastaaH = those carrying javelins in their hands; shaktiibhiH cha = with javelin; parighaishcha gadaabhishcha = with iron rods and maces; paTTishaayudhaaH = those armed with sharp-edged spears; paTTishaiH = with spears; shubhadarshanaiH = with bright-looking; kuntaiH cha = spears; shatashaH = with hundreds; shataghniibhiH = of cylindrical pieces of wood studded with iron spikes; aayasaiH mudgarairapi = with steel hammers; gharaiH parashubhishchaiva = with awful axes; bhindi paalaishcha = with slings for throwing stones; vajrakalpaiH muShTibhiH = with their thunderbolt-like fists; talaiH = and slaps; ashani samnibhaiH = which fell like flashes of lightning; samkruddhaH = the enraged Hanuma; chakaara = made; mahat kadanam = a colossal destruction; teShaam = of those demons.
Approaching Hanuma looking like a mountain, the demons bearing pointed pikes struck him from all sides with pkes, those carrying swords in their hands with swords, those carring javelins in their hands with jalins, with iron rods with maces; those armed with sharp-edged spears with spears, as also with bright-looking spears, with hundreds of cylindrical wooden pieces studded with iron spikes, with steel hammers, ,with awful axes, with slings for the rwing stones, with their thunderbolt-like fists and slaps which fell like flashes of lighning. Then, the enraged Hanuma made a colossal destruction of those demons.
स ददर्श कपिश्रेष्ठमचलोपममिन्द्रजित् |
सूदयानममित्रघ्नममित्रान्पवनात्मजम् || ६-८६-२५
25. saH indrajit = that Indrajit; dadarsha = saw; pavanaatmajam = that Hanuma; kapishreShTham = the foremost of monkeys; achalopamam = looking like a mountain; asantrastam = not at all fearing; suudamaanam = and killing; amitraan = the enemies.
That Indrajit saw Hanuma, the foremost of monkeys, looking like a mountain, fearlessly killing his enemies.
स सारथिमुवाचेदं याहि यत्रैष वानरः |
क्षयमेव हि नः कुर्याद्राक्षसानामुपेक्षितः || ६-८६-२६
26. saH = He; uvaacha = spoke; idam = the following words; saarathim = to his charioterr; yaahi = proceed; yatra = where; eShaH = this; vaanaraH = monkey (is); upekShataH = if he is neglected; kuryaadeva hi = he will indeed do; kShayam = the destruction; naH raakShasaam = of our demons.
He spoke the following words tohis charioteer: "Take the chariot to the place where that monkey is standing. If we neglect him, he will surely destroy our demons."
इत्युक्तः सारथिस्तेन ययौ यत्र स मारुतिः |
वहन् परमदुर्धर्षं स्थितमिन्द्रजितं रथे || ६-८६-२७
27. saarathiH = the charioteer; iti = thus; uktaH = spoken; tena = by him; yayau = went; vahan = carrying; parama durdharSham = that unusually unconquerable; indrajitam = Indrajit; sthitam rathe = sitting in the chariot; yatra = to the place where; maarutiH = Hanuma (was there).
Hearing the words of that Indrajit, the charioteer went, carrying that very unconquerable Indrajit sitting in the chariot, to the place where Hanuma was there.
सोऽभ्युपेत्य शरान्खड्गान्पट्टसासिपरश्वधान् |
अभ्यवर्षत दुर्धर्षः कपिमूर्ध्नि स राक्षसः || ६-८६-२८
28. abhyupetya = coming close (to Hanuma); saH raakShasaH = that demon; durdharShaH = who was unconquerable; abhyavarShata = hurled; sharaan = arrows; khaDgaan = swords; pathishaasi parashvadhaan = sharp-edged spears and axes; kapimuurdhaani = on the head of Hanuma.
Coming close to Hanuma, that unconquerable Indrajit hurled swords, sharp-edged spears and axes on the head of Hanuma.
तानि शस्त्राणि घोराणि प्रतिगृह्य स मारुतिः |
रोषेण महताविषो वाक्यं चेदमुवाच ह || ६-८६-२९
29. pratigR^ihya = receiving; taani ghoraaNi = shastraani = those terrible weapons; saH maarutiH = that Hanuma; uvaacha = spoke; idam vaakyam = the following words; mahataa roSheNa aaviShTo = wrapped with a great rage.
Receiving those terrible weapons, that Hanuma spoke, seized as he was, with great rage, the following words:
युध्यस्व यदि शूरोऽसि रावणात्मज दुर्मते |
वायुपुत्रं समासाद्य न जीवन्प्रतियास्यसि || ६-८६-३०
30. durmate raavaNaatmaja = O evil-minded Indrajit!; asi yadi shuuraH = if you are valiant; yudhyasva = you fight (with me); samaasaadya = to Hanuma; na pratiyaasyasi = you will not return; jiivan = alive.
"O evil-minded Indrajit! If you are valiant, fight with me. Coming nearer to Hanuma, you will not return alive."
बाहुभ्यां सम्प्रयुध्यस्व यदि मे द्वन्द्वमाहवे |
वेगं सहस्व दुर्बुद्धे ततस्त्वं रक्षसां वरः || ६-८६-३१
31. durbuddhe = O foolish fellow!; dvandvam yadi = If you enter into a duel; me = with me; samprayudhyasva = fight; baahubhyaam = with arms; sahasva = withstand; vegam = my force; aahave = in the battle-field; tataH = then; tvam = you; varaH = will be considered as the best; rakShasaam = among the demons.
"O foolish fellow! If you enter into a duel with me, fight with your arms. Withstand my force in the battle-field. Then you will be considered as the best among the demons."
हनूमन्तं जिघांसन्तं समुद्यतशरासनम् |
रावणात्मजमाचष्टे लक्ष्मणाय विभीषणः || ६-८६-३२
32. vibhiShaNaH = Vibhishana; aachaShTe = told; lakShmaNaaya = lakshmana (in the following words); samudyata sharaasanam = while with bow upraised; raavaNaatmajam hanuumantam jighaamsantam = Indrajit was seeking to kill Hanuma.
Vibhishana told Lakshmana in the following words that while with bow upraised, Indrajit sought to kill Hanuma.
यः स वासवनिर्जेता रावणस्यात्मसम्भवः |
स एष रथमास्थाय हनूमन्तं जिघांसति || ६-८६-३३
33. aasthaaya = having seated; ratham = in a chariot; saH = he; yaH = who; raavasya sambhavah = was born to Ravana (Indrajit); vaasavanirjetaa = who conquered Indra; jighaamsati = is seeking to kill; hanuumantam = Hanuma.
"Having seated in a chariot, Indrajit, who conquered Indra, is seeking to kill Hanuma."
तमप्रतिमसंस्थानैः शरैः शत्रुविदारणैः |
जीवितान्तकरैर्घोरैः सौमित्रे रावणिं जहि || ६-८६-३४
34. saumitra = O Lakshmana!; jahi = kill; tam = that; raavaNim = Indrajit; ghoraiH sharaiH = with terrific arrows; apratima samsthaanaiH = in incomparable workmanship; shatrunivaaraNaiH = which ward off enemies; jiivitaanta karaiH = and putting an end to their lives.
"O Lakshmana! Kill that Indrajit with your terrific arrows of incomparable workmanship, which ward off the enemies and putting an end to their lives."
इत्येवमुक्तस्तु तदा महात्मा |
ददर्श तं पर्वतसंनिकाशं |
रथस्थितं भीमबलं दुरासदम् || ६-८६-३५
35. ityevam = thus; uktaH = spoken to; tadaa = then; vibhiiShaNena = by Vibhishana; arivibhiiShaNena = who was fearful to the adversaries; mahaatmaa = the great souled Lakshmana; dadarsha = saw; tam = Indrajit; parvata samnikaasham = who closely resembled a mountain; rathasthitam = seated in a chariot; bhiima balam = of terrific strength; duraasadam = and who was difficult to approach.
Hearing the words of Vibhishana, who was fearful to his adversaries, the great-souled Lakshmana saw Indrajit, who closely resembled a mountain, seated in a chariot, of terrific strength and who was difficult to approach.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे षड्शीतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© November 2008, K. M. K. Murthy
World Wide view of
indrajit and verse
This file transported by Go FTP FREE