Ravana turns his deaf ear to the words of Malyavan and even abuses him that the latter exaggerating the strength of Rama. Ravana further says that he will not restore Seetha to Rama and that Rama and his army will not go back alive, having crossed the ocean and reached Lanka. Then, Ravana assigns Prahasta and others to guard the four main gates of Lanka against the inroads of the enemy. He retires to his inner apartments, after ordering these assignments.
तत्तु माल्यवतो वाक्यम् हितम् उक्तम् दज़ आननः |
न मर्षयति दुष्ट अत्मा कालस्य वज़म् आगतः || ६-३६-१
1. dashaananaH = Ravana the ten-faced monster; duSTaatmaa = the evil-minded; aagataH = who had fallen; vasham = under the sway; kaalasya = of Death; na marSayati = could not brook; tat = that; hitam = beneficial; vaakyam = advice; uktam = uttered; maalyavataH = by Malyavan.
The evil- minded Ravana the ten-faced monster, who had fallen under the sway of Death; could not brook that beneficial advice tendered by Malyavan.
स बद्ध्वा भ्रु कुटिम् वक्त्रे क्रोधस्य वज़म् आगतः |
अमर्षात् परिवृत्त अक्षो माल्यवन्तम् अथ अब्रवीत् || ६-३६-२
2. saH = He; aagataH = had fallen; vasham = under the sway; krodhasya = of anger; baddhavaa = knitting; bhrukuTim = his brows; vaktre = on the face; parivR^ittaakSaH = rolling his eyes; dmarSaat = in fury; abraviit = spoke; atha = then; maalyavantam = to Malyavan; (as follows)
He had fallen under the sway of anger, knitting his brows on the face as he was, rolling his eyes in fury and spoke to Malyavan (as follows)
हित बुद्ध्या यद् अहितम् वचह् परुषम् उच्यते |
पर पक्षम् प्रविज़्य एव न एतत् ज़्रोत्र गतम् मम || ६-३६-३
3. etat = these; ahitam = improper; paruSam = and harsh; vachaH = words; yat = which; uchyate = were spoken (by you); hita buddhyaa = taking them to be salutary; pravishyaiva = and even entering into parapakSam = the side of an enemy; na shrotagatam = has not caught the ears; mama = to me.
"I have closed my ears to the speech you have made, albeit with good intentions and even by taking sides with the enemy."
मानुषम् कृपणम् रामम् एकम् ज़ाखा मृग आज़्रयम् |
समर्थम् मन्यसे केन त्यक्तम् पित्रा वन आलयम् || ६-३६-४
4. kena = how; manyase = are you thinking; raamaH = Rama; maanuSam = who is a human being; kR^ipaNam = a feeble man; ekam = a small man; shaakhamR^igaashrayam = taking help from monkeys; tyaktam = abandoned; pitraa = by his father; vanaashrayam = and dwelling in a forest; samartham = as competent?
"How can you hold Rama, who is a mere human being, a small feeble man, taking help from monkeys and dwelling in a forest having been abandoned by his father, to be a competent person?"
रक्षसाम् ईज़्वरम् माम् च देवतानाम् भयम् करम् |
हीनम् माम् मन्यसे केन;अहीनम् सर्व विक्रमैः || ६-३६-५
5. kena = why; manyase = are you thinking; maam = me; iishvaram = the Lord; rakSasaam = of demons; bhayamkaram = causing fear; devaanaam cha = to celestials; ahiinam = full; sarva vikramaiH = of all powers; hiinam = as a weaker person?
"How can you hold me, the Lord of demons, terrifying celestials and possessing all powers in full, to be a weaker person?"
वीर द्वेषेण वा ज़न्के पक्ष पातेन वा रिपोः |
त्वया अहम् परुषाण्य् उक्तः पर प्रोत्साहनेन वा || ६-३६-६
6. aham = I; shaN^ke = suspect; paruSaaNi = (that) these harsh words; uktaH = were spoken; tvayaa = by you; viiradveSeNa = because of your hero-hatred; pakSapatena vaa = or your partiality; ripoH = towards the enemies; protsahanena vaa = or my (wrong) encouragement.
"I suspect that you spoke these harsh words to me because of your envy of my prowess or your partiality towards the enemies or my lenience towards you."
प्रभवन्तम् पदस्थम् हि परुषम् को अह्बिधास्यति |
पण्डितह् ज़ास्त्र तत्त्वज्नो विना प्रोत्साहनाद् रिपोः || ६-३६-७
7. kaH = which; panditaH = learned man; shaastra tattvajJNaH = understanding the truth in the scriptures abhibhaashhate = would speak; paruSam = thus harshly; padastham = to a person in power; prabhavantam = who is mighty vinaa protsaahanena vaa = without any instigation?
"Which learned man, understand the truth in the scriptures, would speak thus harshly to a mighty person in power, were it not to instigate him?"
आनीय च वनात् सीताम् पद्म हीनाम् इव ज़्रियम् |
किम् अर्थम् प्रतिदास्यामि राघवस्य भयाद् अहम् || ६-३६-८
8. kimartham = why; aham = (should) I; pratidaasyaam = give back; siitaam = Seetha; shriyam iva = who is like Lashmi; the goddess of fortune; padmahiinaam = without the loutus; aaniiya = having brought her; vanaat = from the forest; bhayaat = through fear; raaghavasya of Rama?
"Why should I give back Seetha, who is like Lakshmi the goddess of fortune without the lotus, having brought her away from the forest, through fear of Rama?"
वृतम् वानर कोटीभिः ससुग्रीवम् सलक्ष्मणम् |
पज़्य कैज़्चिद् अहोभिस् त्वम् राघवम् निहतम् मया || ६-३६-९
9. kaishchit = within a few; ahobhiH = days; pashya = see; raaghvam = Rama; salakSmaNam = along with Lakshama; sasngriivam = together with Sugreeva; nR^itam = in the midst; vaanara koTiibhiH = of crores of monkeys; nihatam = killed; mayaa = by me.
"See Rama killed within a few days by me, along with Lakshama together with Sugreeva in the midst of crores of monkeys."
द्वन्द्वे यस्य न तिष्ठन्ति दैवतान्य् अपि सम्युगे |
स कस्माद् रावणो युद्धे भयम् आहारयिष्यति || ६-३६-१०
10. kasmaat = how; saH = (should) that; raavaNaH = Ravana; yasya = whom; samynge = in combat; daivataanyapi = the celestials themselves; na tiSThanti = dare not withstand; dvandve = in a duel; aahaarayiSyati = entertain; bhayam = fear; yuddhe = in the encounter?
"How should this Ravana, whom in combat, the celestials themselves dare not meet in a duel, entertain fear in this encounter?"
द्विधा भज्येयम् अप्य् एवम् न नमेयम् तु कस्यचित् |
एष मे सहजो दोषह् स्वभावो दुरतिक्रमः || ६-३६-११
11. bhajyeyamapi = even if I am broken; dvidhaa = into two; na meyam = I shall not bend; kasya chit = to any body; evam = in this way; eSaH = this; me = is my; sahajaH = nature; doSaH = defect; svabhaavaH = which temperament; duratikramH = is difficult to be overcome.
"Rather would I be cut into two pieces than bend before anybody! Such was I from birth, it is my nature by difacult and unalterable."
यदि तावत् समुद्रे तु सेतुर् बद्धो यदृच्चया |
रामेण विस्मयः को अत्र येन ते भयम् आगतम् || ६-३६-१२
12. kaH = what; vismayaH = great marvel; atra = is there; yena = (in) that; aagatam = which should give way; bhayam = to terror; me = for me; yadi yadR^ichchhayaa = if by happy chance; setuH = a bridge; baddhaH taavat = indeed was constructed; samudre = accross the ocean; raameNa = by Rama.
"What great marvel is there in that which gave way to terror if by happy chance, a bridge indeed was constructed by Rama across the ocean."
स तु तीर्त्वा अर्णवम् रामः सह वानर सेनया |
प्रतिजानामि ते सत्यम् न जीवन् प्रतियास्यति || ६-३६-१३
13. saH raaghavaH = that Rama; vaanara senayaa sha = along with his army of monkeys; tiirtraa = having crossed; aarNaam = the ocean; na pratiyaasyati = will not go back; jiivan = alive; pratijaanaami = I am promising; satyam = truely; te = to you.
"That Rama along with his army of monkeys, having crossed the ocean, will not go back alive. It is my true promise to you."
एवम् ब्रुवाणम् सम्रब्धम् रुष्टम् विज्नाय रावणम् |
व्रीडितो माल्यवान् वाक्यम् न उत्तरम् प्रत्यपद्यत || ६-३६-१४
14. vijJNaaya = knowing; raavaNam = Ravana; ruSTam = to be furious; bruvaaNam = speaking; samrabdham = excited; iti = in this way; maalyavaan = Malyavan; vriiDitaH = felt bashful; na pratyapadyata = did not get; vaakyam = (any) words; uttaram = in reply.
Beholding Ravana to be highly excited and speaking with such fury, Malyavan, abashed, did not reply.
जय आज़िषा च राजानम् वर्धयित्वा यथा उचितम् |
माल्यवान् अभ्यनुज्नातो जगाम स्वम् निवेज़नम् || ६-३६-१५
15. vardhayitvaa = Invoking; jayaashiSaa = blessings of victory; raajaanam = to the king; yathochitam = as courtesy demanded; maalyavaan = Malyavan; abhyaanujJNaataH = having been given permission; jagaama = went; svam = to his own; niveshanam = house.
Invoking blessings of victory to the king as courtesy demanded Malyavan took permission and went home.
रावणस् तु सह अमात्यो मन्त्रयित्वा विमृज़्य च |
लन्कायाम् अतुलाम् गुप्तिम् कारयाम् आस राक्षसः || ६-३६-१६
16. raakSasaH = Ravana the demon on his part; sahaamaatyaH = assisted by his ministers; mantrayitvaa = having deliberated; vimR^ishya = on the things to be examined; kaarayaamaasa = set about planning; tadaa = then; guptim = the defense; laN^kaayaaH = of Lanka.
Ravana the demon on his part, assisted by his ministers having deliberated on the things to be examined, set about planning the defense of Lanka.
व्यादिदेज़ च पूर्वस्याम् प्रहस्तम् द्वारि राक्षसम् |
दक्षिणस्याम् महा वीर्यौ महा पार्ज़्व महा उदरौ || ६-३६-१७
पज़्चिमायाम् अथो द्वारि पुत्रम् इन्द्रजितम् तथा |
व्यादिदेज़ महा मायम् राक्षसैर् बहुभिर् वृतम् || ६-३६-१८
17; 18. atha = thereafter; vyaadidesha = he assigned; puurvaasyaam dvaari = eastern gate; raakSasam = to the demon; prahastam = Prahasta; vyaadidesha = assigned; dakSiNasyaam = the southern gate; mahaaparshva mahodarau = to Mahaparsva and Mahodara; mahaaviiryau = of great prowess; tadaa = then; pashchimaam = dvaasi = at the western gate; vyaadidesha = he appointed; putram = his son; indrajitam = Indrajit; mahaamaayam = a powerful conjuror; vR^itam = endowed with bahubhiH = a considerable force of; raakSasaiH = demons.
Thereafter, he assigned the eastern gate to the demon, Prahasta and the southern gate to Maha Parshva and Mhodara both of great prowess. At the western gate, he placed his son Indrajit, a powerful conjuror, with considerable force of demons.
उत्तरस्याम् पुर द्वारि व्यादिज़्य ज़ुक सारणौ |
स्वयम् च अत्र भविष्यामि मन्त्रिणस् तान् उवाच ह || ६-३६-१९
19. vyaadishya = placing; shuka ssaraNau = shuka and Sarana; uttarasyaam = at the norhtern; puradvaari = city- gate; uvaacha ha = (he) spoke; mantriNaH = to his ministers; taan = that; gamiSyaami = he would go; tatra = there; svayam = personally.
Placing Shuka and Sarana at the northern city-gate, Ravana told his ministers that he would go there personally.
राक्षसम् तु विरूप अक्षम् महा वीर्य पराक्रमम् |
मध्यमे अस्थापयद् गुल्मे बहुभिह् सह राक्षसैः || ६-३६-२०
20. aasthaapayat = He placed; raakSasam = the demon; viruupaakshham = Virupaksha; mahaa viirya paraakramam = who was full of energy and courage; madhyame = to be in the center; gulame = of the fort; bahubhiH raakSasaiH sha = with a large number of demons.
He place the demon Virupaksha, who was full of energy and courage, to be in the center of the fort, with a large number of demons.
एवम् विधानम् लन्कायाम् कृत्वा राक्षस पुम्गवः |
मेने कृत अर्थम् आत्मानम् कृत अन्त वज़म् आगतः || ६-३६-२१
21. kR^itvaa = making; vidhaanam = an arrangement; evam = in this manner; laN^kaayaam = in Lanka; raakSasa puNgavaH = that bull among the demons; kaalachoditaH = under the sway of Time; manyate = deemed; aatmaanam = his; kR^ita kR^ityamiva = purpose as accomplished.
Making an arrangement in Lanka in this manner, that bull among demons, under the sway of Time, deemed his purpose as accomplished.
विसर्जयाम् आस ततह् स मन्त्रिणो |
विधानम् आज्नाप्य पुरस्य पुष्कलम् |
जय आज़िषा मन्त्र गणेन पूजितो |
विवेज़ सो अन्तह् पुरम् ऋद्धिमन् महत् || ६-३६-२२
22. aajNaapya = having ordered; puSkalam = for the complete; vidhaanam = regulation; purasya = of the city; saH = Ravana; tataH = then; mantriNaH visarjayaamaasa = let his ministers depart; puujitaH = having been honoured; jayaashiSaa = by the body of counsellors; mantrigaNena = by the body of counsellors; saH = he; vivesha = entered; mahat = the mighty; R^iddhimat = and sumptuous; antaHpuram = inner apartments.
Having ordered for adequate arrangements for the defence of the city, Ravana then let his ministers depart. Having been honoured with blessings of victory by the body of counsellors, he entered his mighty and sumptuous inner apartments.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे सप्तत्रिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October 2004, K. M. K. Murthy