Seetha asks Hanuma to remind Rama of how he threw a blade of grass at the crow and destroyed its right eye thereby, as a token of remembrance. She also asks to remind Rama of his having once marked on her cheek with realgar, when a mark on her forehead was defaced, as a further token of Hanuma having met her. Seetha also requests Hanuma to appraise Rama of her wretched plight and finally greets him to have a happy journey ahead.
श्रुत्वा तु वचनम् तस्य वायु सूनोः महात्मनः |
उवाच आत्म हितम् वाक्यम् सीता सुर सुत उपमा || ५-४०-१
1. shrutvaa = hearing; vachanam = the words; tasya = of that; mahaatmanaH = high-souled; vaayusuunoH = Hanuma; Siita = Seetha; surasutopamaa = similar to the daughter of god; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words; aatmahitam = beneficial to herself.
Hearing the words of that high-souled Hanuma, Seetha who resembled the daughter of god, spoke the following words beneficial to herself.
त्वाम् दृष्ट्वा प्रिय वक्तारम् सम्प्रहृष्यामि वानर |
अर्ध सम्जात सस्य इव वृष्टिम् प्राप्य वसुम् धरा || ५-४०-२
2. vaanara = O Hanuma!; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tvaam = you; priyavaktaaram = speaking pleasant words; samprahR^iSyaami = I am over-joyed; vasumdharaa iva = as a field; artham samjaatasasyaa = with half-sprouted crop of grain; (is over-joyed); praapyeva = by receiving; vR^iSTim = a rain.
"O Hanuma! Seeing you speaking pleasant words, I am as overjoyed, as a field with half-sprouted crop of grain is thrilled by receiving a rain."
यथा तम् पुरुष व्याघ्रम् गात्रैः शोक अभिकर्शितैः |
संस्पृशेयम् सकामा अहम् तथा कुरु दयाम् मयि || ५-४०-३
3. aham = I; gatriH = with my limbs; shokaabhikarshitaiH = emaciated; sakaamaa = having a desire; yathaa = how; samspR^isheyam = to touch; puruSavyaaghram = that Rama the tiger among men; tathaa = in that manner; kuru = oblige; dayaam = your kindness; mayi = in me.
"With my limbs emaciated with grief, I have a desire to touch that Rama the tiger among men. Show mercy on me and fulfill my desire."
अभिज्ञानम् च रामस्य दत्तम् हरि गण उत्तम |
क्षिप्ताम् ईषिकाम् काकस्य कोपात् एक अक्षि शातनीम् || ५-४०-४
4. harigaNottama = O Hanuma; the excellent one among the troops of monkeys!; dadyaaH = Present (the story of); iSiikaam = a blade of grass; called Ishika; abhiJNaanam = as a signet; kSiptaam = hurled; kopaat = with anger; kaakasya ekaakSishaataniim = and the one eye of a crow destroyed; raamasya = by Rama.
"O Hanuma the excellent one among the troops of monkeys! Present the story of the blade of grass called Ishika hurled with anger and thereby one eye of the crow destroyed by Rama (as a signal remembrance)."
मनः शिलायाः तिकलो गण्ड पार्श्वे निवेशितः |
त्वया प्रनष्टे तिलके तम् किल स्मर्तुम् अर्हसि || ५-४०-५
5. (O Rama!); tilake = While a mark on my forehead; praNSTe = had got effaced; manashishilaayaaH tilakaH = a mark on my forehead with realgar; niveshitaH kila = was indeed painted; tvayaa = by you; gaNDa paarshve = on the side of my cheek; arhasi = you ought surely; smartum = to recollect; tam = it.
"O Rama! You ought surely to recollect that while a mark on my forehead had got effaced once, another mark with realgar was indeed painted by you on the side of my cheek."
स वीर्यवान् कथम् सीताम् हृताम् समनुमन्यसे |
वसन्तीम् रक्षसाम् मध्ये महाइन्द्र वरुण उपम || ५-४०-६
6. katham = How; sah = are you as such; viiryavaan = the valiant one; mahendra varuNopamaH = equal to Indra the Lord of celestials and Varuna the king of Universe; samanumanyase = give consent to; siitaam = Seetha; hR^itaam = having been taken away; vasantiim = and staying; madhye = in the middle; rakSasaam = of the demons.
"How are you, the valiant man equal to Indra the Lord of celestials and Varuna the King of Universe, ignore Seetha who was taken away and now staying in the midst of these demons?"
एष चूडा मणिः दिव्यो मया सुपरिरक्षितः |
एतम् दृष्ट्वा प्रहृष्यामि व्यसने त्वाम् इव अनघ || ५-४०-७
7. anagha = O faultless Rama!; eSaH = this; divyaH = wonderful; chuuDaamaNiH = jewel for the head; suparirakSitaH = has been protected well; mayaa = by me; dR^iSTvaa = seeing this; vyasane = in my distress; prahR^iSyaami = I have been getting delighted; tvaamiva = as though I have seen you.
"O faultless Rama! This wonderful jewel for the head head has been protected well by me. Seeing this in my distress, I have been getting delighted, as though I have seen you."
एष निर्यातितः श्रीमान् मया ते वारि सम्भवः |
अतः परम् न शक्ष्यामि जीवितुम् शोक लालसा || ५-४०-८
8. eSaH = this jewel; shriimaan = which is splendid; vaarisambhavaH = and produced in water; niryaatitaH = has been sent; te = to you; shoka laalasaa = absorbed in grief; na shakSyaami = I shall not be able; jiivitum = to survive; ataH param = hence forth.
"This splendid jewel, produced in water, has been sent to you. Absorbed in grief, I shall not be able to survive henceforth."
असह्यानि च दुह्खानि वाचः च हृदयच् चिदः |
राक्षसीनाम् सुघोराणाम् त्वत् कृते मर्षयामि अहम् || ५-४०-९
9. tvatkR^ite = for your sake; aham = I; marSayaami = am enduring; asahyaani = (these) unbearable; duHkhaani = troubles; vaachashcha = and the words; raakSasiinaam = of female-demons; sughoraaNaam = which are very horrible; hR^idayachchhidaH = which pierce my heart.
"With a hope of your coming here at any time, I am enduring these unbearable hardships and also the words of horrible female demons; which pierce my heart."
धारयिष्यामि मासम् तु जीवितम् शत्रु सूदन |
मासात् ऊर्ध्वम् न जीविष्ये त्वया हीना नृप आत्मज || ५-४०-१०
10. shatrusuudana = O annihilator of enemies; nR^ipaatmaja = O Rama the prince!; dhaarayiSyaami = I shall hold; jiivitam = my life; maasamtu = only for a month; na jiiviSye = I will not survive; uurdhvam maasaat = after a month; hiinaa = left out; tvayaa = by you.
"O Rama the prince, the annihilator of enemies! I shall hold my life only for a month. I will not survive without you, after a month."
घोरो राक्षस राजो अयम् दृष्टिः च न सुखा मयि |
त्वाम् च श्रुत्वा विपद्यन्तम् न जीवेयम् अहम् क्षणम् || ५-४०-११
11. ayam = this; raakSasaraajaH = Ravana; the king of demons; ghoraH = is terrible; mayi = in my instance; dR^iSTiH = his glance; na sukhaa = is not pleasant; shrutvaa = hearing; tvaam = (that) you; viSajjantam = are causing a delay; aham = I; na jiiveyam = will not live; kSaNam = even for a moment.
"This Ravana, the king of demons, is terrible. In my instance, his glance is not pleasant. Hearing that you are causing a delay, I will not survive even for a moment."
वैदेह्या वचनम् श्रुत्वा करुणम् स अश्रु भाषितम् |
अथ अब्रवीन् महातेजा हनुमान् मारुत आत्मजः || ५-४०-१२
12. shrutvaa = hearing; vachanam = the words; vaidehyaaH = of Seetha; bhaaSitam = spoken; karuNam = pitiably; saashru = with tears; hanumaan = Hanuma; maarutaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; mahaatejaaH = having great splendour; atha = thereafter; abraviit = spoke (as follows):
Hearing the words of Seetha, spoken pitiably with tears, Hanuma the son of wind-god, with a great splendour, spoke (as follows):
त्वत् शोक विमुखो रामो देवि सत्येन ते शपे |
रामे शोक अभिभूते तु लक्ष्मणः परितप्यते || ५-४०-१३
कथंचित् भवती दृष्टा न कालः परिशोचितुम् |
इमम् मुहूर्तम् दुह्खानाम् अन्तम् द्रक्ष्यसि भामिनि || ५-४०-१४
ताव् उभौ पुरुष व्याघ्रौ राज पुत्राव् अनिन्दितौ |
त्वत् दर्शन कृत उत्साहौ लन्काम् भस्मी करिष्यतः || ५-४०-१५
हत्वा तु समरे क्रूरम् रावणम् सह बान्धवम् |
राघवौ त्वाम् विशाल अक्षि स्वाम् पुरीम् प्रापयिष्यतः || ५-४०-१६
13; 14; 15; 16. devi = O Seetha; the princess!; raamaH = Rama; tva chchoka vimukhaH = has grown averse the everything else caused by grief towards you; shape = I swear; te = to you; satyena = truly; raame = (When) Rama; duHkhaabhipanna = is overpowered by grief; lakSmaNaH cha = Lakshmana too; paritapyate = is tormented; bhaamini = O lady!; kathamchit = somehow or other; bhavati = you; dR^iSTaa = appeared (have been discovered); na kaalaH = this is not the time; paridevitum = to lament; drakSyasi = you will see; antam = the end; duHkhaanaam = of your sorrows; imammuhurtam = within this moment; tau ubhau raajaputrau = those two princes; puruSa vyaaghrau = the excellent among men; arindamau = and annihilator of enemies; tvaddarshanakR^itotsahau = and who are eager to see you; laNkaam bhasmii kariSyataH = will reduce Lanka to ashes; vishaalaakSi = O large-eyed Seetha!; hatvaa = killing kruuram = the cruel; raavaNam = Ravana; saha baandhavam = along with his realtives; raaghava = Rama and Lakshmana; praapayiSyataH = will take; tvaam = you; svaam puriim = to their own city.
"O Seetha the princess! Rama has grown averse to everything else, caused by grief towards you. I sear it to you truly. when Rama is overpowered by grief, Lakshmana too gets tormented with grief." "O lady! Somehow or other, you have been discovered by me. This is not the time to lament. You will see the end of your sorrow shortly." "Those two princes, the excellent among men, the annihilator of enemies and who are eager to see you, will surely reduce Lanka to ashes. "O large-eyed Seetha! Killing the cruel Ravana along with his relatives, Rama and Lakshmana will take you to their own city."
यत् तु रामो विजानीयात् अभिज्ञानम् अनिन्दिते |
प्रीति सम्जननम् तस्य भूयः त्वम् दातुम् अर्हसि || ५-४०-१७
17. anindite = O faultless Seetha!; tvam = you; arhasi = be pleased; daatum = to give; bhuuyaH = again; yat = whichever; abhijJNaanam = token of remembrance; vijaaniiyaat = (Rama) will recognise; priiti samjanam = and which creates will pleasure; tasya = to Rama.
"O faultless Seetha! Be pleased to give another token of remembrance, which Rama will recognise and which creates pleasure to him."
सा अब्रवीत् दत्तम् एव इह मया अभिज्ञानम् उत्तमम् |
एतत् एव हि रामस्य दृष्ट्वा मत् केश भूषणम् || ५-४०-१८
श्रद्धेयम् हनुमन् वाक्यम् तव वीर भविष्यति |
18. saa = Seetha; abraviit = spoke; iti = thus; uttamam = an excellent; abhijJNaanam = token to remembrance; dattameva = was indeed given; maaa = by me; dR^iSTvaa = etat = this; matkeshabhuuSaNam = jewel; shraadheyam bhaviSyati = will become trust-worthy; raamasya = to Rama.
Seetha said, " An excellent token of remembrance was indeed given by me. Seeing this jewel for my hair, Rama will trust your words."
स तम् मणि वरम् गृह्य श्रीमान् प्लवग सत्तमः || ५-४०-१९
प्रणम्य शिरसा देवीम् गमनाय उपचक्रमे |
19. gR^ihya = taking; tam maNivaram = that excellent jewel; saH = that; shriimaan = illustrious; plavagasattama = Hanuma; the best among monkeys; praNamya = offering salutation; shirasaa = by bowing his head; deviim = to Seetha; upachakrame = has set off; gamanaaya = to go.
Taking that excellent jewel, the illustrious Hanuma, the best among monkeys, offered salutation to Seetha by bowing his head and has set off to go.
तम् उत्पात कृत उत्साहम् अवेक्ष्य हरि पुम्गवम् || ५-४०-२०
वर्धमानम् महावेगम् उवाच जनक आत्मजा |
अश्रु पूर्ण मुखी दीना बाष्प गद्गदया गिरा || ५-४०-२१
20; 21. avekSya = seeing; tam haripuNgavam = that Hanuma; the best among monkeys; utpaatakR^itatsaaham = possessed of energy to jum up; mahaavegam = with great speed; vardhamaanam = and expanding; janakaatmajaa = Seetha; uvaacha = spoke (as follows); giraa = in a voice; baaSpagadgadayaa = choked with tears diinaa = looking miserable; ashrupuurNa mukhii = in her face filled with tears.
Seeing that Hanuma, the best among monkeys, possessed of energy to jump up with great speed and expanding, Seetha spoke (as follows) in her voice choked with tears and looking miserable in her face filled with tears.
हनूमन् सिम्ह सम्काशौ भ्रातरौ राम लक्ष्मणौ |
सुग्रीवम् च सह अमात्यम् सर्वान् ब्रूया अनामयम् || ५-४०-२२
22. hanuman = O Hanuma!; bruuyaaH = enquire; anaamayam = about the health; raamalakSmaNau = of Rama and Lakshmana; bhraatarau = the brothers; simhasamkaashau = bearing a resemblance to lions; sugriivamcha = and of Sugreeva; sahaamaatyam = together with his ministers; sarvaan = and all others.
"O Hanuma! Enquire about the welfare of Rama and Lakshmana, the brothers looking like lions, of Sugreeva together with his ministers and of all other."
यथा च स महाबाहुः माम् तारयति राघवः |
अस्मात् दुह्ख अम्बु सम्रोधात् तत् समाधातुम् अर्हसि || ५-४०-२३
23. tvam arhasi = you be pleased; samadhaatum = to make; saH raaghavaH = that Rama; mahaabaahuH = deliver (me) in whatever manner; asmaat duHkhaambusamrodhaat = from this ocean of sorrow.
"Be pleased to make that long-armed Rama deliver me from this ocean of sorrow."
इमम् च तीव्रम् मम शोक वेगम् |
रक्षोभिः एभिः परिभर्त्सनम् च |
ब्रूयाः तु रामस्य गतः समीपम् |
शिवः च ते अध्वा अस्तु हरि प्रवीर || ५-४०-२४
24. hari praviira = O valiant monkey; gataH = having gone; raamasya samiipam = to Rama's vicinity; bruuyaaH = appraise (him); mama imam tiivram shokavegam = about this terrific gush of my sorrow; paribhartsanamcha = and about the threatening attitude; ebhiH rakSobhiH = of those female-demons; te adhvaa = (Let) Your journey; astu = be; shivaH = happy.
"O valiant monkey! After approaching Rama, appraise him of this terrific gush of my grief and also about the threatening attitude of these female-demons. Have a happy journey!"
स राज पुत्र्या प्रतिवेदित अर्थः |
कपिः कृत अर्थः परिहृष्ट चेताः |
तत् अल्प शेषम् प्रसमीक्ष्य कार्यम् |
दिशम् हि उदीचीम् मनसा जगाम || ५-४०-२५
25. prativeditaarthaH = having been acquainted with the matter; raajaputryaa = by Seetha the princess; kR^itaarthaH = having accomplished his object; prihR^iSTa chetaaH = and with his mind filled with joy; prasamiikSya = and seeing; alpaavasheSam kaaryam = that only a little remains to be done; kapiH = Hanuma; jagaama manasaa = went intellectually; udiichiim disham = towards the northern direction.
Having been appraised of the matter by Seetha the princess, having accomplished his object, having his mind filled with joy and having perceived that only a little remained to be done, Hanuma intellectually sought the northern direction.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे चत्वारिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© February, 2005, K. M. K. Murthy