Seetha calls out Rama and others and bursts into a wail not being able to endure the threats of ogre women.
अथ तासां वदन्तीनां परुषं दारुणं बहु |
राक्षसीनामसौम्यानां रुरोद जनकात्मजा || ५-२५-१
1; atha = thereafter; taasaam = (as) those; raakshasiinaam = ogre women; asaumyaanaam = with a cruel nature;vadantiinaam = were speaking; bahu = a lot; parushham = harshly; daaruNam = (and) horribly;janakaatmajaa = Seetha; ruroda = cried.
As those ogre woman with a cruel nature were speaking a lot harshly and horribly, Seetha cried.
एवमुक्ता तु वैदेही राक्षसीभिर्मनस्विनी |
उवाच परमत्रस्ताबाष्पगद्गदया गिरा || ५-२५-२
2. evam = thus; uktaa = being spoken to; raakshasiibhiH = by ogre women; vaidehii = Seetha; manasvinii = with a good mind; paramatrastaa = being frightened a lot; baashhpa gadgadayaa giraa = with a voice indistinct due to tears; uvaacha = spoke (as follows).
Thus being spoken to by ogre women, Seetha with a good mind being frightened a lot spoke as follows with a voice indistinct due to tears.
न मानुषी राक्षसस्य भार्या भवितुमर्हति |
कामं खादत मां सर्वा न करिष्यामि वो वचः || ५-२५-३
3. maanushhii = a human woman; na arhati = is not suited; bhavitum = to become; bhaaryaa = a wife; raakshasasya = of an ogre; sarvaaH = all of you; khaadata = eat; maam = me; kaamam = according to your desire;na karishhyaami = I will not do; vaH = (according to) your; vachaH = words.
"A human woman is not suited to become a wife of an ogre. All of you eat me according to your desire. I will not do according to your words."
सा राक्षसीमध्यगता सीता सुरसुतोपमा |
न शर्म लेभे दुःखार्ता रावणेन च तर्जिता || ५-२५-४
4. raakshsaiimadhyagataa = being in the middle of ogre women; tarjitaa = being frightened; raavaNena cha = by Ravana also; surasutopamaa = like a daughter of gods; saa siitaa = that Seetha; na lebhe = did not get; sharma = comfort; duHkhaartaa = being tormented by grief.
Being in the middle of ogre women, being frightened by Ravana also, like a daughter of gods, that Seetha did not get comfort being tormented by grief.
वेपते स्माधिकं सीता विशन्ती वाङ्गमात्मनः |
वने यथा परिभ्रष्टा मृगी कोकैरिवार्दिता || ५-२५-५
5. mR^igiiva = like a fawn; vane = in a forest; yuudhaparibhrashhTaa = lost from its herd; arditaa = tormented; kokaiH = by wolves; vishantiiva = (Seetha was) as though sinking (into); aatmanaH = own; aN^gam = body; vepate sma = (and) shook; adhikam = a lot.
Like a fawn in a forest lost from its herd and tormented by wolves, Seetha was as though sinking into own body and shook a lot.
सा त्वशोकस्य विपुलां शाखामालम्ब्य पुष्पिताम् |
चिन्तयामास शोकेन भर्तारं भग्नमानसा || ५-२५-६
6. saa tu = that Seetha; bhagna maanasaa = with a broken heart; shokena = due to grief; aalambya = holding; pushhpitaam shaakhaam = a flowering branch; vipulaam = which was wide; ashokasya = of Ashoka tree; chintayaamaasa = thought; bhartaaram = about husband.
That Seetha with a broken heart due to grief, held a wide flowering branch of Ashoka tree and thought about Her husband.
सा स्नापयन्ती विपुलौ स्तनौ नेत्रजलस्रवैः |
चिन्तयन्ती न शोकस्य तदान्तमधिगच्छति || ५-२५-७
7. tadaa = then; saa = that Seetha; snaapayantii = washing; vipulau stanau = Her wide breasts; netra jala sravaiH = with a flow of tears from eyes; chintayantii = (and) thinking; na adhigachchhati = did not get; antam = end; shokasya = of sorrow.
Then that Seetha washing Her wide breasts with a flow of tears from eyes and thinking, did not get end of sorrow.
सा वेपमाना पतिता प्रवाते कदळी यथा |
राक्षसीनां भयत्रस्ता विवर्णवदनाभवत् || ५-२५-८
8. saa = that Seetha; vepamaanaa = was shaking; kadaLii yathaa = like a plantain tree; patitaa = fallen down; pravaate = in an exceedingly windy place; raakshasii bhaya saMtrastaa = trembling with fear of the ogre women; abhavat = became; vivarNavadanaa = with a pale face.
That Seetha was shaking like a plantain tree fallen down in an exceedingly windy place, trembling with fear of the ogre women, and became with a pale face.
तस्याः सा दीर्घविपुला वेपन्त्या सीतया तदा |
ददृशे कम्पिनी वेणी व्याळीव परिसर्पती || ५-२५-९
9. saa kampinii veNii = that moving plait; diirgha vipulaa = which was wide and long; tasyaaH paramstriyaaH = of that best woman; vepantyaaH = trembling; dadR^ishe = was seen (to be); vyaaLiiva = like a serpant;parisarpatii = in motion.
That moving plait, which was wide and long, of that best woman was seen to be like a serpant in motion.
सा निःश्वसन्ती दुःखार्ता शोकोपहतचेतना |
आर्ता व्यसृजदश्रूणि मैथिली विललाप च || ५-२५-१०
10. saa maithilii = that Seetha; duHkhaartaa = tormented by grief; shokopahata chetanaa = with a mind hit by sorrow; aartaa = struck by calamity; niHshvasantii = was sighing; nyasR^ijat = let down; ashruuNi = tears; vilalaapa cha = and also cried.
That Seetha tormented by grief, with a mind hit by sorrow, struck by calamity was sighing and let down tears and also cried.
हा रामेति च दुःखार्ता हा पुनर्लक्ष्मणेति च |
हा श्वश्रु मम कौसल्ये हा सुमित्रेति भामिनी || ५-२५-११
11. bhaaminii = Seetha; duHkhaartaa = being tormented by grief (said) ; haa raameti = Oh! Rama! punaH = again; haa lakshmaNeti = Oh! Lakshmana; haa kausalye = Oh! Kausalya; mama shvashru = my mother-in-law; haa sumitreti = Oh! Sumitra.
Seetha being tormented by grief said : "Oh! Rama!" and again "Oh! Lakshmana!","Oh! Kausalya!, my mother-in-law" "Oh! Sumitra!"
लोकप्रवादः सत्योऽयं पण्डितैः समुदाहृतः |
अकाले दुर्लभो मृत्युः स्त्रिया वा पुरुषस्य वा || ५-२५-१२
यदाहमेवं क्रूराभी राक्षसीभिरिहार्दिता |
जीवामि हीना रामेण मुहूर्तमपि दुःखिता || ५-२५-१३
12; 13. aham = I; evam = thus; aarditaa = being tormented; kruuraabhiH raakshasiibhiH = by cruel ogre women; iha = here; hiinaa = lacking; raameNa = Rama; duHkhaartaa = being tormented by grief; yadaa = when; jiivaami = I am living; muhuurtamapi = even for a moment; mR^ityuH = death; akaale = at wrong time; striyaaH vaa = to woman; purushhasya = or to a man; durlabhaH = is hard; samudaahR^itaH = (thus) being said;lokapravaadaH = the popular saying in the world; satyaH = is true.
"I thus being tormented by cruel ogre women here lacking Rama, being tormented by grief, when I am living even for a moment,' death at wrong time to woman or to a man is hard' - thus being said this popular saying in the world is true."
एषाल्पपुण्या कृपणा विनशिष्याम्यनाथवत् |
समुद्रमथ्ये नौः पूर्णा वायुवेगैरिवाहता || ५-२५-१४
14. eshhaa = this me; alpapuNyaa = with small merit;kR^ipaNaa = wretched; anaathavat = like an orphan; vinashishhyaami = will perish; nauH iva = like a ship; samudramadhye = in the middle of the ocean; aahataa = being hit; vaayuvegaiH = by the speed of wind.
"This me with small merit,wreched, like an orphan, will perish like a ship in the middle of the ocean being hit by the speed of wind."
भर्तारं तमपश्यन्ती राक्षसीवशमागता |
सीदामि खलु शोकेन कूलं तोयहतं यथा || ५-२५-१५
15. apashyantii = not seeing; bhartaaram = my husband; tam = that Rama;aagataa = obtaining; raakshasii vasham = control of ogre women; tiiram yathaa = like a bank; toyahatam = hit by water; siidaami khalu = I am verily perishing; shokena = with sorrow.
"Not seeing my husband that Rama and obtaining control of ogre women like a bank hit by water I am verily perishing with sorrow."
तं पद्मदळपत्राक्षं सिंहविक्रान्तगामिनम् |
धन्याः पश्यन्ति मे नाथं कृतज्ञं प्रियवादिनम् || ५-२५-१६
16. dhanyaaH = (only) fortunate; pashyanti = see; tam = that; me = my; naatham = husband; padmadaLapatraaksham = with eyes like petals of an expanded lotus; siMha vikraanta gaaminam = walking with the gait of a lion; kR^itajJNam = correct in conduct; priyavaadiam = pleasant talker;
"Only fortunate see that my husband with eyes like petals of an expanded lotus, walking with the gait of a lion, correct in conduct and a pleasant talker."
सर्वथा तेन हीनाया रामेण विदितात्मना |
तीक्ष्णंविषमिवास्वाद्यदुर्लभं मम जीवितम् || ५-२५-१७
17. mama = to me; hiinaayaaH = lacking; tena = that Rama; viditaatmanaa = with a famous soul; aasvaadyeva = like after eating; tiikshNam vishham = a pungent poison; jiivitam = life; sarvathaa = in all ways; durlabham = is hard.
"To me lacking that Rama with a famous soul, like after eating a pungent poison life in all ways is hard."
कीदृशं तु महापापं मया जन्मान्तरे कृतम् |
येनेदं प्राप्यते दुःखं मया घोरं सुदारुणं || ५-२५-१८
18. yena = by what; mayaa = by me; praapyate = obtaining; idam = this; duHkham = grief; ghoram = which is horrible;sudaaruNam = very dreadful; kiidR^isham = what kind of; mahaa paapam = great sin;kR^itam = has been done; mayaa = by me; janmaantare = in an other life.
"By what this horrible and very dreadful grief is obtained by me, what kind of great sin had been done by me in another life."
जीवितं त्यक्तुंइच्छामि शोकेन महता वृता |
राक्षसीभिश्च रक्ष्यन्त्या रामो नासाद्यते मया || ५-२५-१९
19. vR^itaa = together; mahataa shokena = with great grief; ichchhaami = I desire; tyaktum = to give away; jiivitum = life; kaamaH = (this) desire; na avaapyate = is not obtainable; mayaa = by me; surakshitaa = I am well protected; raakshasiibhiH = by ogre women.
"Together with great grief, I desire to give away my life. This desire is not obtainable by me. I am well protected by ogre women."
धिगस्तु खलु मानुष्यं धिगस्तु परवश्यताम् |
न शक्यं यत्परित्यक्तुमात्मच्छन्देन जीवितम् || ५-२५-२०
20. dhik astu = fie; maanushhyam = upon human condition; dhik astu = fie; paravashyataam = upon being in the control of others; yat = by what reason; aatmachchhandena = according to own desire; na shakyam = it is not possible; parityaktum = to give up; jiivitam = life.
"Fie upon human condition! Fie upon being in the control of others. By what reason it is not possible according to own desire to give up life."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे पञ्चविंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2005, Kishore Kopalle
being and verse
Secure SFTP (SSH) anywhere, FREE Go FTP Software