In this Chapter Hanuma has first glimpse of Ravana in his house. He also observes various wives of Ravana sleeping in the house. He sees Mandodari and thinks her to be Seetha.
तत्र दिव्य उपमम् मुख्यम् स्फाटिकम् रत्न भूषितम् |
अवेक्षमाणो हनुमान् ददर्श शयन आसनम् || ५-१०-१
दान्तकाञ्चनिचित्राङ्गेर्वैश्च वरासनैः |
महार्हस्तरणोपेतैरुपपन्नम् महाधनैः || ५-१०-२
1;2. tatra = in that house; avekshamaaNaH = while observing; hanumaan = Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; shayanaasanam = (a portion of house with) beds and couches; upetam = consisting of; varaasanaiH = best couches; divyopamam = equaling those in heaven; mukhyam = best; sphaaTikam = made of crystal; ratnabhuushhitam = decorated with diamonds; daantakaaJNchana chitraaN^gaiH = with wonderful parts made of ivory and gold; vyDuuryaiH mahaarH aastaraNa upetaiH = covered with best beds made of cat's eye gems; mahaadhanaiH = of great value.
In that house, while observing, Hanuma saw a portion of house with beds and couches, consisting of best couches equaling those in heaven, made of crystal decorated with diamonds, with wonderful parts made of ivory and gold, covered with best beds made of cat's eye gems of great value.
तस्य च एकतमे देशे सो अग्र्य माल्य विभूषितम् |
ददर्श पाण्डुरम् चत्रम् तारा अधिपति सम्निभम् || ५-१०-३
3. saH = Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; ekatamedeshe = in a part; tasya = of that room; chhatram = an umbrella; paaNDuram = white in colour; agryamaalaavibhuushhitam = decorated with best flower garlands; taaraadhipatisannibham = and resembling moon the lord of stars.
Hanuma saw in a part of that room, an umbrella white in colour decorated with best flower garlands and resembling moon - the lord of stars.
जातरूपपरिक्षिप्तम् चित्रभानुसमप्रभम् |
अशोकमालाविततम् ददर्श परमासनम् || ५-१०-४
4. dadarsha = (Hanuma) saw; paramaasanam = an excellent couch; jaataruupapariikshiptam = made of gold; chitrabhaanusamaprabham = with radiance equaling that of fire; asokamaalaavitatam = spread by garlands of Ashoka flowers.
Hanuma saw an excellent couch made of gold with radiance equaling that of fire, spread by garlands of Ashoka flowers.
वाल व्यजन हस्ताभिर् वीज्यमानम् समन्ततः |
गन्धैः च विविधैर् जुष्टम् वर धूपेन धूपितम् || ५-१०-५
5. viijyamaanam = fanned; vaalavyajanahastaabhiH = by women with fans in their hands; samantataH = in all the four directions; jushhTam = obtained; vividhaiH gandhaiH = by various fragrances; dhuupitam = fumigated; paradhuupena = by the best incense.
Fanned by women with fans in their hands in all the four directions and obtained by various fragrances fumigated by the best incense.
परम आस्तरण आस्तीर्णम् आविक अजिन सम्व्र्तम् |
दामभिर् वर माल्यानाम् समन्ताद् उपशोभितम् || ५-१०-६
6. paramaastharaNaastiirNam = covered by an excellent bed; aavikaajinasamvR^itam = spread by sheep skin; samantaat = everywhere; upashobhitam = shone; damabhiH = by rows; varamaalyaanaam = of excellent garlands.
Covered by an excellent bed, spread by sheep skin everywhere and shone by rows of excellent garlands.
तस्मिन् जीमूत सम्काशम् प्रदीप्त उत्तम कुण्डलम् |
लोहित अक्षम् महा बाहुम् महा रजत वाससम् || ५-१०-७
7. (Hanuma saw Ravana) tasmin = in that; jiimuutasamkaasham = equaling a cloud; pradiiptottamakuNDalam = wearing earrings with a brilliant shine; lohitaaksham = with read eyes; mahaabaahum = with long arms; mahaarajatavaasasam = wearing gold clothes.
Hanuma saw Ravana in that house, equaling a cloud, wearing earrings with a brilliant shine with red eyes and with long arms wearing gold clothes.
लोहितेन अनुलिप्त अन्गम् चन्दनेन सुगन्धिना |
संध्या रक्तम् इव आकाशे तोयदम् सतडिद् गुणम् || ५-१०-८
8. anuliptaaN^gam = with body smeared; lohitenachandanena = with red sandal wood; sugandhinaa = with good fragrance; sandhyaaraktam aakaashe toyadam iva = like a cloud in the red sky at sunset; sataTidgaNam = together with groups of lightening.
With his body smeared with red sandal-wood with good fragrance like a cloud in the red sky at sunset, together with groups of lightening.
वृतम् आभरणैर् दिव्यैः सुरूपम् काम रूपिणम् |
सव्र्क्ष वन गुल्म आढ्यम् प्रसुप्तम् इव मन्दरम् || ५-१०-९
9. vR^itam = filled; divyaiH aabharaNaiH = with excellent jewellery; surrupam = with a good appearance; kaamaruupiNam = with ability to assume desired form; mandaram iva = resembling mount Mandara; prasuptam = in sleep; savR^ikshavanagulmaaDhyam = together with groups of trees and bushes.
Ravana was filled with excellent jewellery, with a good appearance, with an ability to assume desired form, resembling mount Mandara in sleep, together with groups of trees and bushes.
क्रीडित्वा उपरतम् रात्रौ वर आभरण भूषितम् |
प्रियम् राक्षस कन्यानाम् राक्षसानाम् सुख आवहम् || ५-१०-१०
10. uparatam = resting; kriiDitvaa = after having pleasure; raatrau = at night; varaabharaNabhuushhitam = bedecked with the best ornaments; priyam = lover; raakshasakanyaanaam = to the Rakshasa girls; sukhaavaham = causing comfort; raakasaanaam = to rakshasas.
Resting after having pleasure at night, bedecked with the best ornaments, he was a lover to the rakshasa girls and causing comfort to rakshasas.
पीत्वा अपि उपरतम् च अपि ददर्श स महा कपिः |
भास्करे शयने वीरम् प्रसुप्तम् राक्षस अधिपम् || ५-१०-११
11. sa mahaakapiH = that great Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; viiram = the gallant; raakshasaadhipam = king of rakshasas; prasuptam = in the sleep; uparatam = resting; piitvaa = after drinking; bhaasvare shayane = on a shining couch.
That great Hanuma saw the gallant king of rakshasas in sleep on a shining couch resting after drinking.
निह्श्वसन्तम् यथा नागम् रावणम् वानर उत्तमः |
आसाद्य परम उद्विग्नः सो अपासर्पत् सुभीतवत् || ५-१०-१२
12. saH vaanararshhabhaH = that Hanuma; best among Vanaras; aasaadya = neared; raavaNam = Ravana; paromdvignaH = became very gloomy; apaasarpat = (and) moved away; subhiitavat = with great dread; niHshvasantam naagam yathaa = as though from a hissing serpent.
That Hanuma, best among Vanaras neared Ravana, became very gloomy and moved away with great dread, as though from a hissing serpent.
अथ आरोहणम् आसाद्य वेदिका अन्तरम् आश्रितः |
सुप्तम् राक्षस शार्दूलम् प्रेक्षते स्म महा कपिः || ५-१०-१३
13. atha = thereafter; mahaakapiH = the great Hanuma = aasaadya = neared; aarohaNam = staircase; aashritaH = sought; vedikaantaram = another dais; prekshate sma = (and) observed closely; raakshasa shaarduulam = Ravana.
Thereafter the great Hanuma neared staircase, sought another dais and observed closely Ravana.
शुशुभे राक्षस इन्द्रस्य स्वपतः शयन उत्तमम् |
गन्ध हस्तिनि सम्विष्टे यथा प्रस्रवणम् महत् || ५-१०-१४
14. shayanottamam = the excellent couch; svapataH raakshasendrasya = of the sleeping Ravana; shushubhe = shone; mahat prasravaNam yathaa = like a great lake; gandhahastini samvishhThe = when a scented elephant resides (in it).
The excellent couch of the sleeping Ravana shone like a great lake when a scented elephant resides in it.
कान्चन अन्गद नद्धौ च ददर्श स महात्मनः |
विक्षिप्तौ राक्षस इन्द्रस्य भुजाव् इन्द्र ध्वज उपमौ || ५-१०-१५
15. saH = that Hanuma; dadarsha cha = also saw; mahaatmana = the wealthy; raakshasendrasya = Ravana's; bhujaaH = arms; kaaJNchnaaN^gadanaddhau = tied with golden armlets; vikshiptau = thrown apart; indradhvajoptamau = resembling flag staffs(raised in honor ) of Indra.
That Hanuma also saw the wealthy Ravana's arms tied with golden armlets thrown apart, resembling flag staffs raised in honor of Indra.
ऐरावत विषाण अग्रैर् आपीडित क्र्त व्रणौ |
वज्र उल्लिखित पीन अंसौ विष्णु चक्र परिक्षितौ || ५-१०-१६
16. aapiiDanakR^itavraNau = (those arms had) wounds made by stabbing; airaavatavishhaaNaagraiH = from the pointed edges of tusks of Iraavata; vajrollikhitapiinaamsau = fleshy shoulders smeared with diamond; vishhNuchakraparikshatau = hit by Vishnu chakra;
Those arms had wounds made by stabbing from the pointed edges of tusks of Iraavata and fleshy shoulders smeared with diamond and hit by Vishnu chakra.
पीनौ समसुजात अंसौ सम्गतौ बल सम्युतौ |
सुलक्षण नख अन्गुष्ठौ स्वन्गुली तल लक्षितौ || ५-१०-१७
17. piinau = (these arms of Ravana were) corpulent; samasujaataamsau = with well grown and equal shoulders; samgatau = proportionate to body; balasamyutau = with strength; sulakshaNanakhaaN^gushhThau = with knees and thumbs of good characteristic; svaN^guliitalalaskhsitau = with good fingers and palms.
These arms of Ravana were corpulent with well grown and equal strong shoulders proportionate to body, with knees and thumbs of good characteristics, with good fingers and palms.
सम्हतौ परिघ आकारौ व्र्त्तौ करि कर उपमौ |
विक्षिप्तौ शयने शुभ्रे पन्च शीर्षाव् इव उरगौ || ५-१०-१८
18. samhatau = with strong joints; parighaakaarau = with a shape of club; vR^ittau = round in shape; karikaropamau = resembling the trunks of an elephant; paJNchashiirshhaauvivoragau iva = like five headed snakes; vikshiptau = thrown; subhre shayane = on clean couch.
With strong joints in the shape of club, round in shape resembling the trunks of an elephant, like five headed snakes thrown on clean couch.
शश क्षतज कल्पेन सुशीतेन सुगन्धिना |
चन्दनेन पर अर्ध्येन स्वनुलिप्तौ स्वलम्क्र्तौ || ५-१०-१९
उत्तम स्त्री विम्र्दितौ गन्ध उत्तम निषेवितौ |
यक्ष पन्नग गन्धर्व देव दानव राविणौ || ५-१०-२०
19;20. bhujau = shoulders; su anuliptau = well smeared; paraarthyena chandanena = by best sandal; sugandhina = with good smell; sushiitena = and very cool; shashakshatajakalpena = resembling a hare's blood; svalankN^kR^itau = well decorated; uttamastriivimR^iditau = massaged by the best women; gandhottamanishhevitau = served by the best sandal; yakshapannaga gandharva deva daanava raaviNau = (which made) yakshas; nagas; gandharvas; devas and daanavaas scream.
Shoulders well smeared by best sandal with good smell and very cool resembling in color to a hare's blood, well decorated, massaged by the best women, served by the best sandal and which made yakshas, nagas, gandharvas, devas and daanavaas scream.
ददर्श स कपिः तस्य बाहू शयन संस्थितौ |
मन्दरस्य अन्तरे सुप्तौ महा अर्ही रुषिताव् इव || ५-१०-२१
21. saH kapiH = That Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; tatra = there; baahu = arms; shanasamsthitau = on the couch; mahaahii iva = like great serpents; rushhitau = in anger; suptau = sleeping; mandarasya antare = in the middle of mount Mandara.
That Hanuma saw there arms on the couch like great serpents in anger sleeping in the middle of mount Mandara.
ताभ्याम् स परिपूर्णाभ्याम् भुजाभ्याम् राक्षस अधिपः |
शुशुभे अचल सम्काशः श्र्न्गाभ्याम् इव मन्दरः || ५-१०-२२
22. saH = That; raakshaseshvaraH = king of Rakshasas(Ravana); achalasamkaashaH = equaling a mountain; taabhyaam bhujaabhyaam = with those two shoulders; paripuurNaabhyaam = which were well built; shushubhe = and shone; mandaraH iva = like Mount Mandara; shR^iN^gaabhyaam = with twin peaks
That king of Rakshasas equaling a mountain with those shoulders, which were well built and shone like Mount Mandara with twin peaks.
चूत पुम्नाग सुरभिर् बकुल उत्तम सम्युतः |
मृष्ट अन्न रस सम्युक्तः पान गन्ध पुरः सरः || ५-१०-२३
तस्य राक्षस सिम्हस्य निश्चक्राम मुखान् महान् |
शयानस्य विनिह्श्वासः पूरयन्न् इव तद् ग्र्हम् || ५-१०-२४
23;24. maahaamukhaat = from the great face; raakshasasimhasya = of that king of Rakshasas; shayanasya = who was sleeping; nishchakraama = came out; vinisvaasaH = breath; chuutapunnaaga surabhiH = fragrant like the flowers of chuuta and punnaaga; vakuLottamasamyutaH = consisting of the best fragrance of Vakula flowers; mR^ishhTaannarasasamyuktaH = together with the flavor of best cooked rice; paanagandhapuraskR^itaH = with the smell of liquor; puurayanniva = as though filling; tat gR^iham = that house.
From the great face of that king of Rakshasas who was sleeping, came out breath with fragrance like that of flowers of chuuta and punnaaga, consisting of the best fragrance of Vakula flowers, together with the flavor of best cooked rice, with the smell of liquor as though filling that house.
मुक्ता मणि विचित्रेण कान्चनेन विराजता |
मुकुटेन अपव्र्त्तेन कुण्डल उज्ज्वलित आननम् || ५-१०-२५
रक्त चन्दन दिग्धेन तथा हारेण शोभिता |
पीन आयत विशालेन वक्षसा अभिविराजितम् || ५-१०-२६
पाण्डुरेण अपविद्धेन क्षौमेण क्षतज ईक्षणम् |
महा अर्हेण सुसम्वीतम् पीतेन उत्तम वाससा || ५-१०-२७
माष राशि प्रतीकाशम् निह्श्वसन्तम् भुजन्गवत् |
गान्गे महति तोय अन्ते प्रसुतमिव कुन्जरम् || ५-१०-२८
चतुर्भिः कान्चनैर् दीपैर् दीप्यमानैः चतुर् दिशम् |
प्रकाशी क्र्त सर्व अन्गम् मेघम् विद्युद् गणैर् इव || ५-१०-२९
पाद मूल गताः च अपि ददर्श सुमहात्मनः |
पत्नीः स प्रिय भार्यस्य तस्य रक्षः पतेर् ग्र्हे || ५-१०-३०
25;26;27;28;29;30. saH = that Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; tasya rakshaH pateH gR^ihe = in the house of that king of Rakshasa's; patniishcha = wives; paadamuulagataaH = at the feet; sumahaatmanaH = a gigantic one; priyabhaaryasya = with loving wives; viraajitam = shone; apavR^ittena makuTena = with crown tilted to the side; muktaamaNivichitreNa = having strange hue with pearls and diamonds; kaaJNchanaan = and of golden colour; kuNDalojjvalitaananam = with a face made brilliant made by earrings; abhiviraajitam = shone; vakshasaa = with the chest region; raktachandanadigdhena = smeared with red sandal; shobhinaahaareNa = shining with a necklace; piinaayatavishaalena = wide high and corpulent; kshaumeNa = with a silk cloth; paaNDareNa = of white colour; apaviddhena = falling on him; kshatajekshanam = with eyes reddish like blood; susamviitam = well tied; uttamavasasaa = by a best cloth; piitena = of yellow colour; mahaarheNa = and of very best quality; maashharaashipratiikaasham = resembling a heap of black beans; nishshvasantam = snoring; bhujaN^gavat = like a hiss of a snake; kuJNjaram iva = like an elephant; prasuptam = sleeping; toyaante = in the middle of water; mahati gaaN^ge = belonging to the great river Ganga; diipyamaanachaturdisham = with all the four directions shone; chaturbhiH diipaiH = by the four lamps; kaaJNchanaiH = of golden colour; megham iva = resembling a cloud; praakaasiikR^ita sarvaaN^gam = with all the parts being shone; vidhyugaNaiH = by groups of lighting.
That Hanuma saw in the house of that king of Rakshasa's, wives at the feet, Ravana being a gigantic one with loving wives, shone with crown tilted to the side, having strange hue with pearls and diamonds and of golden colour, with a face made brilliant by earrings, shone with the chest region smeared with red sandal, shining with a necklace wide, high and corpulent with a silk cloth of white colour falling on him, with eyes reddish like blood, well tied by a best cloth of yellow colour and of very best quality, resembling a heap of black beans, snoring like a hiss of a snake, like an elephant sleeping in the middle of water belonging to the great river Ganga with all the four directions shone by the four lamps of golden colour, resembling a cloud with all the parts being shone by groups of lighting.
शशि प्रकाश वदना वर कुण्डल भूषिताः |
अम्बाल माल्य आभरणा ददर्श हरि यूथपः || ५-१०-३१
31. hariyuudhapaH = the leader of Vanaras; dadarsha = saw; shashiprakaashavadanaaH = (those wives of Ravana) with faces with radiance of moon; chaarukuNDalabhuushhitaaH = adorned with beautiful earrings; amlaanamaalyabharaNaaH = wearing jewellery and flower garlands which were not worn out.
The leader of Vanaras saw those wives of Ravana with faces with radiance of moon, adorned with beautiful earrings, wearing jewellery and flower garlands which were not worn out.
नृत्त वादित्र कुशला राक्षस इन्द्र भुज अन्कगाः |
वर आभरण धारिण्यो निषन्ना दद्र्शे कपिः || ५-१०-३२
32. hariH = Hanuma; dadR^ishe = saw; nR^ittavaaditrakushalaaH = (wives of Ravana) with skill in dance and musical instruments; raakshasendrabhujaaN^kagaaH = obtained the shoulders of Ravana; varaabharaNadhaariNyoH = wearing the best jewellery; nishhaNNaaH = being in sleep.
Hanuma saw wives of Ravana with skill in dance and musical instruments, who obtained the shoulders of Ravana wearing the best jewellery and being in sleep.
वज्र वैदूर्य गर्भाणि श्रवण अन्तेषु योषिताम् |
ददर्श तापनीयानि कुण्डलानि अन्गदानि च || ५-१०-३३
33. dadarsha = (he) saw; kuNDalaani = earrings; yoshhitaam = of those women; shravaNaanteshhu = at the end of ears; vjravaiDuuryagarbhaaNi = with embedded diamonds and cats eye gems; taapaniiyaani = and having golden colour.
He saw earrings of those women at the end of ears with embedded diamonds and cats eye gems and having golden colour.
तासाम् चन्द्र उपमैर् वक्त्रैः शुभैर् ललित कुण्डलैः |
विरराज विमानम् तन् नभः तारा गणैर् इव || ५-१०-३४
34. vaktraiH = with the faces; taasaam = of those women; lalitakuNDalaiH = with delicate earrings; chandropamaiH = which were equal to moon; shubhaiH = (and)auspicious; tat vimaanam = that house; viraraaja = shone; nabhaH iva = like the sky; taaraagaNaiH = with clusters of stars.
With the faces of those women with delicate earrings which were equal to moon and auspicious that house shone like the sky with clusters of stars.
मद व्यायाम खिन्नाः ताः राक्षस इन्द्रस्य योषितः |
तेषु तेष्व् अवकाशेषु प्रसुप्ताः तनु मध्यमाः || ५-१०-३५
35. yoshhitaH = women; taaH raakshasendrasya = of that Ravana; madavyaayaamakinnaaH = being tired from lustful passion and exertion; tanumadhyamaaH = and having lean waists; prasuptaaH = slept; teshhu teshhu avakaasheshhu = at opportunity.
Women of that Ravana being tired from lustful passion and exertion and having lean waists slept at first opportunity.
अङ्गहारैस्तथैवान्या कोवलैर्नृत्तशालिनी |
विन्यस्तशुभसर्वाङ्गी प्रसुप्ता वरवर्णिनी || ५-१०-३६
36. anyaa = another; nR^ittashaalinii varavarNinii = woman with skill in dancing; komalaiH aN^gahaaraiH = consisting of delicate body postures; prasuptaa = slept; tathaiva = in the same way; vinyastashubhasarvaaN^gi = with all her body parts making the same dance postures.
Another woman with skill in dancing consisting of delicate body postures slept in the same way with all her body parts making the same dance postures.
काचिद् वीणाम् परिष्वज्य प्रसुप्ता सम्प्रकाशते |
महा नदी प्रकीर्णा इव नलिनी पोतम् आश्रिता || ५-१०-३७
37. kaachit = one women; parishhvajya = hugging; veeNaam = veena; prasuptaa = and sleeping; samprakaashate = was shining; naliniiva = like a lotus plant; mahaanadiiprakiirNa = thrown away by( the flow of) a great river; aashritaa = and resorting; potam = a boat.
One woman hugging veena and sleeping was shining like a lotus plant thrown away by the flow of a great river and resorting a boat.
अन्या कक्ष गतेन एव मड्डुकेन असित ईक्षणा |
प्रसुप्ता भामिनी भाति बाल पुत्रा इव वत्सला || ५-१०-३८
38. anyaa = another woman; asitekshaNaa = with black eyes; prasuptaa = sleeping; maDukena = with an instrument called madduka; kakshagatenaiva = under arm pit; bhaati = shone; bhaaminiiva = like a woman; vatshalaa baalaputraa = (carrying) an infant boy with love.
Another woman with black eyes sleeping with an instrument called madduka under arm pit shone like a woman carrying an infant boy with love.
पटहम् चारु सर्व अन्गी पीड्य शेते शुभ स्तनी |
चिरस्य रमणम् लब्ध्वा परिष्वज्य इव कामिनी || ५-१०-३९
39. bhaamini = a women; chaarusarvaaN^gii = with beautiful body features; subhastanii = with beautiful breasts; shete = slept; piiDya = tightly hugged; paTaham = instrument called pataha; parishhvajyeva = as though hugging; ramaNam = a lover; labdhvaa = getting him; chirasya = after a long time.
A woman with beautiful body features and with beautiful breasts slept tightly and hugged instrument called pataha as though hugging a lover, getting him after a long time.
काचिद् अंशम् परिष्वज्य सुप्ता कमल लोचना |
रहः प्रियतमम् गृह्य सकामेव च कामिनी || ५-१०-४०
40. kaachit = another woman; kamalalochanaa = with lotus like eyes; parishhvajya = hugging; vasam = a flute; suptaa = slept; sakaamaa kaaminiiva = like a woman with lust; gR^ihya = holding; priyatamam = (her) lover; rahaH = in secret.
Another woman with lotus like eyes hugging a flute slept like a woman with lust holding her lover in secret.
विपञ्चैइम् परिगृह्यान्या नियता नृत्तशालिनी |
निद्रा वशम् अनुप्राप्ता सह कान्ता इव भामिनी || ५-१०-४१
41. anyaa = another woman; nR^ittashaalinii = skilled in dance; anupraaptaa = obtained; nidraavasham = sleep; parigR^ihyaa = getting vipanJNchiim = an instrument like veena; niyataa = (and being) in tune with it; bhaaminii = like a woman; saha kaanta = together with her lover.
Another woman skilled in dance obtained sleep getting an instrument like veena and being in tune with it like a woman together with her lover.
अन्या कनक सम्काशैर् म्र्दु पीनैर् मनो रमैः |
मृदन्गम् परिपीड्य अन्गैः प्रसुप्ता मत्त लोचना || ५-१०-४२
42. anyaa = another woman; mattalochana = with lusty eyes; prasuptaa = slept; paripiiDyaa = hugging; mR^idaN^ga = a percussion instrument called mridanga; anN^gaiH = with her body parts; manoharaiH = which were pleasant; kanakasamkaashaiH = which resembled gold; mR^idupiinaiH = and which were smooth and fleshy.
Another woman with lusty eyes slept hugging a percussion instrument called mridanga with her body parts which were pleasant which resembled gold and which were smooth and fleshy.
भुज पार्श्व अन्तरस्थेन कक्षगेन क्र्श उदरी |
पणवेन सह अनिन्द्या सुप्ता मद क्र्त श्रमा || ५-१०-४३
43. kR^ishodarii = another woman with thin stomach; anindyaa = who was not to be blamed; suptaa = slept; madakR^itasramaa = due to tiresomeness from lust; padameshaH = together with an instrument called Padama; bhujapaashaantarasthena = between her shoulders; kakshagena = and reaching arm pits.
Another woman with thin stomach, who was not to be blamed, slept due to tiresomeness from lust together with an instrument called Padama between her shoulders and reaching arm pits.
डिण्डिमम् परिग्र्ह्य अन्या तथैव आसक्त डिण्डिमा |
प्रसुप्ता तरुणम् वत्सम् उपगूह्य इव भामिनी || ५-१०-४४
44. anyaa = another woman; aasaktaDiNDimaa = with an instrument called Dindima near her; parigR^ihya = got; DinDimam = that Dindima; prasuptaa = slept; tathaiva = and in the same way; bhaaminii iva = as a woman; taruNamupaguhya = hugging her husband; vastham = and also her child;
Another woman with an instrument called Dindima near her slept in the same way as a woman hugging her husband and also her child.
काचिद् आडम्बरम् नारी भुज सम्भोग पीडितम् |
कृत्वा कमल पत्र अक्षी प्रसुप्ता मद मोहिता || ५-१०-४५
45. kaachitnaarii = another woman; kamalapatraakshi = with eyes like lotus petals; prasuptaa = slept; kR^itvaa = making; aaDambaram = the instrument called aadambara; bhujasamyogapiiDitam = pressing it by her shoulders; madamoohitaa = being desired by lust;
Another woman with eyes like lotus petals slept making the instrument called adambara pressing it by her shoulders being desired by lust.
कलशीम् अपविद्ध्य अन्या प्रसुप्ता भाति भामिनी |
वसन्ते पुष्प शबला माला इव परिमार्जिता || ५-१०-४६
46. anyaa bhaaminii = another women; prasuptaa = sleeping; apavidhya = felling down; kalasiim = a small pot; bhaati = shone; maaleva = like a flower garland; pushhpashabalaa = with the flowers of strange hue; vasante parimaarjitaa = made auspicious in spring.
Another woman sleeping, felling down a small pot, shone like a flower garland with the flowers of strange hue made auspicious in spring.
पाणिभ्याम् च कुचौ काचित् सुवर्ण कलश उपमौ |
उपगूह्य अबला सुप्ता निद्रा बल पराजिता || ५-१०-४७
47. kaachit ablaa = another woman; suptaa = slept; upaguhyaa = hugging; kuchau = her breasts; suvarNkalashopamau = resembling golden pots; paaNibhyaam = by her hands; nidraabalaparaajitaa = overcome with sleep.
Another woman slept hugging her breasts resembling golden pots by her hands, overcome with sleep.
अन्या कमल पत्र अक्षी पूर्ण इन्दु सद्र्श आनना |
अन्याम् आलिन्ग्य सुश्रोणी प्रसुप्ता मद विह्वला || ५-१०-४८
48. anyaa = another woman; kamalapatraakshi = with eyes like lotus petals; puurNedu sadR^ishaanana = with her face resembling full moon; madavihvalaa = overcome with lust; prasuptaa = slept; aaliN^gyaa = hugging; anyaam = another woman; shushroNiim = with a beautiful hip region.
Another woman with eyes like lotus petals, with her face resembling full moon, overcome with lust slept hugging another woman with a beautiful hip region.
आतोद्यानि विचित्राणि परिष्वज्य वर स्त्रियः |
निपीड्य च कुचैः सुप्ताः कामिन्यः कामुकान् इव || ५-१०-४९
49. varastriyaH = some excellent woman; suptaaH = slept; parishvajya = hugging; vichitraaNi aatodhyaani = strange instruments; kuchaih nipiiDhya = and pressing them with breasts; kaaminyaH kaamukaaniva = as though lustful woman with lusty men;
Some excellent women slept hugging strange instruments and pressing them with breasts as though lustful woman with lusty men.
तासाम् एक अन्त विन्यस्ते शयानाम् शयने शुभे |
ददर्श रूप सम्पन्नाम् अपराम् स कपिः स्त्रियम् || ५-१०-५०
50. saH kapiH = that Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; taasaam = among those women; ruupasampannaam striyam = a very beautiful woman; syaanaam = sleeping; shubhe shayane = on an auspicious couch; ekaanta vinyaste = arranged alone at a side.
That Hanuma saw among those women a very beautiful woman sleeping on an auspicious couch arranged alone at a side.
मुक्ता मणि समायुक्तैर् भूषणैः सुविभूषिताम् |
विभूषयन्तीम् इव च स्व श्रिया भवन उत्तमम् || ५-१०-५१
गौरीम् कनक वर्ण आभाम् इष्टाम् अन्तः पुर ईश्वरीम् |
कपिर् मन्द उदरीम् तत्र शयानाम् चारु रूपिणीम् || ५-१०-५२
51;52. kapiH = Hanuma; mandodariim = (saw) Mandodari; charuruupiNiim = with a beautiful form; muktaamaNisamaamuktaiH = together with diamonds and pearls; suvibhuushhitaam well decorated; bhuushhaNaiH = by jewellery; svashriya = and with her self radiance; vibhuushhayantiimiva = as though decorating bhavanottamam = that great building; gauriim = with a fair complexion; kanakavarNaabhaam = and with a radiance like golden colour; ishhTaam = who was dear to her husband; antaHpureshvariim = the lady of the women in that gynaeceum; shayaanaam = sleeping; tatra = there.
Hanuma saw Mandodari with a beautiful form together with diamonds and pearls, well decorated by jewellery and with her self radiance as though decorating that great building with a fair complexion and with a radiance like golden colour, who was dear to her husband the lady of women in that gynaeceum sleeping there.
स ताम् दृष्ट्वा महा बाहुर् भूषिताम् मारुत आत्मजः |
तर्कयाम् आस सीता इति रूप यौवन सम्पदा || ५-१०-५३
हर्षेण महता युक्तो ननन्द हरि यूथपः |
53. saH maarutaatmajaH = that Hanuma; mahaabaahuH = with great arms; taamdR^ishhTvaa = seeing that woman; bhuushhitaam = well decorated; tarkayaamaasa = in logic though; siiteti = this is Seetha; ruupayauvana sampadaa = by the wealth of her appearance and her youth; hariyudhapaH = that warrior of vanaras; nananda = was delighted; mahataa harshhenayuktaH = together with great pleasure.
That Hanuma with great arms seeing the woman well decorated, out of logic thought thus: "This is Seetha by the wealth of her appearance and her youth". That warrior of Vanaras was delighted together with great pleasure.
आश्पोटयाम् आस चुचुम्ब पुच्चम् |
ननन्द चिक्रीड जगौ जगाम|
स्तम्भान् अरोहन् निपपात भूमौ |
निदर्शयन् स्वाम् प्रक्र्तिम् कपीनाम् || ५-१०-५४
54. aasphoTayaamaasa = clasped his arms; chuchumbha puchchham = kissed his tail; nananda = he was delighted; chikriiDa = he was playful; jagau = sang; jagaama = paced; nidarshayan = showing; svaam = his; kappiinaam prakR^itim = simian nature; aarohat = climbed; stambaat = pillars; nipapaata bhuumau = and fell down on land.
He clasped his arms, kissed his tail he was delighted, he was playful, sang, paced showing his simian nature, climbed pillars and fell down on land.
- - -
इति वाल्मीकि रामयने आदि काव्ये सुन्दर काण्डे दशमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2002 oct, Durga and Kishore Kopalle