The engineers construct a comfortably high-way from Ayodhya to the River Ganga, by clearing off shrubs and stones on the way and excellent wells were dug. Beautiful tents were also built on the path.
अथ भूमि प्रदेशज्ञाः सूत्र कर्म विशारदाः |
स्व कर्म अभिरताः शूराः खनका यन्त्रकाः तथा || २-८०-१
कर्म अन्तिकाः स्थपतयः पुरुषा यन्त्र कोविदाः |
तथा वर्धकयः चैव मार्गिणो वृक्ष तक्षकाः || २-८०-२
कूप काराः सुधा कारा वंश कर्म कृतः तथा |
समर्था ये च द्रष्टारः पुरतः ते प्रतस्थिरे || २-८०-३
1; 2; 3. atha = then; bhuumipradeshajJNaH = those able to advise on the nature of soils; suutrakarmavishaaradaaH = those skilled in thread-holding for levelling purposes; shuuraaH = those who were energetic; courageous; svakarmaabhirataaH = interested in doing their own jobs; khanakaaH = excavators; tathaa = and yantrakaaH = mechanics; karmaantikaaH = labourers; sthapatayaH = engineers; puruSaaH = men; yantrakovidaaH = skilled in machines; tathaa = and vaardhakayaH = carpenters; margiNaH = road- menders; vR^ikshatakSakaaH = wood-cutters; kuupakaaraaH = hallow-makers; sudhaakaaraaH = men skilled in plastering and white washing; tathaa = and vamshacharma kR^itaH = basket-makers and tanner; yet = those who; samarthaaH = were skilled; draSTaaraH = supervisors; pratasthire = sallied forth; purataH = in advance.
Then, those able to advise on the nature of soils, those skilled in thread-holding for leveling purposes, those who were energetic courageous and attentive in doing their jobs, excavators, mechanics, labourers, carpenters, road-menders, wood-cutters, hollow-makers, men skilled in plastering and white washing, basket makers, tanners and skilled supervisors of work sallied forth in advance.
स तु हर्षात् तम् उद्देशम् जन ओघो विपुलः प्रयान् |
अशोभत महा वेगः सागरस्य इव पर्वणि || २-८०-४
4. saH = that; vipulaH = mighty; janaughaH = assembly of men; harSaat = gladly; prayaan = setting out; tam uddesham = to that place; ashobhata = was splendid; samudraH iva = like an ocean; mahaavegaH = with a giagantic commotion; parvaNi = on the day of the full moon.
That mighty assembly of men gladly setting out to that forest was splendid like an ocean on the day of the full moon having a gigantic commotion.
ते स्व वारम् समास्थाय वर्त्म कर्माणि कोविदाः |
करणैः विविध उपेतैः पुरस्तात् सम्प्रतस्थिरे || २-८०-५
5. te = those; kovidaaH = skilled; vartmakarmaNi = in making roads; karaNaiH = (furnished) with tools; vividhopetaiH = of every kind; samaasthaaya = seeking the company; svavaaram = of their own proper place; purastaat = ahead.
Men skilled in making roads, furnished with tools of every kin, seeking the company of men of their own proper place, marched ahead.
लता वल्लीः च गुल्मामः च स्थाणून् अश्मनएव च |
जनाः ते चक्रिरे मार्गम् चिन्दन्तः विविधान् द्रुमान् || २-८०-६
6. chhindataH = clearing away; lataavaliiH cha = rows of creepers; gulmaamshcha = and shrubs; sthaaNuun = timber; ashmana evacha = and big rocks; vividhaan = and various kinds; drumaan = of trees.
Clearing away rows of creepers and shrubs timber and big rocks as well as variours kinds of trees (which obstructed the way), they carved out a path.
अवृक्षेषु च देशेषु केचित् वृक्षान् अरोपयन् |
केचित् कुठारैअः टन्कैः च दात्रैः चिन्दन् क्वचित् क्वचित् || २-८०-७
7. kechit = some men; aropayan = planted; vR^ikshaan = trees; avR^iksheSu = in tree-less; desheSu = areas; kechit = some others; chiindan = chopped; (the existing trees); kvachit kvachit = here and there; kuThaaraiH = by means of axes; TaN^kaishcha = hatchests; daatraiH cha = and sickles.
Some men planted trees in tree-less areas. Some others chopped the existing trees here and there by means of axes, hatchets and sickles.
अपरे वीरण स्तम्बान् बलिनो बलवत्तराः |
विधमन्ति स्म दुर्गाणि स्थलानि च ततः ततः || २-८०-८
8. apare = some others; balavattaraaH = having better strength; vidhamantisma = removed; balinaH = sturdy; viiraNa stambhaan = tufts of Virana grass; sthalaami = and leveled; durgaaNi = the uneven places; tatastataH = here and there.
Some other strong men removed sturdy tufts of Virana grass and leveled the uneven places here and there.
अपरे अपूरयन् कूपान् पांसुभिः श्वभ्रम् आयतम् |
निम्न भागांस् तथा केचित् समामः चक्रुः समन्ततः || २-८०-९
9. apare = some others; apuurayan = filled up; kuupaan = wells; aayatam = and extensive; shvabhram = pits; paamsubhiH = with earth; tataH = then; kechit = some; samaan chakruH = leveled; nimnabhaagaan = low-lying places; samantataH = all around.
Some others filled up wells and extensive pits with earth. Some men leveled low-lying places all around.
बबन्धुर् बन्धनीयामः च क्षोद्यान् संचुक्षुदुस् तदा |
बिभिदुर् भेदनीयामः च तांस् तान् देशान् नराः तदा || २-८०-१०
10. tadaa = then; naraaH = some men; babanduH = bridged; deshaan = the s; bandhaniiyaan = could be bridged; samchukSuduH = pulverized (the rocks); kSodyaan = that could be pulverized; bibhiduH = and smashed (the impediments); bhedamiiyaan cha = that could be smashed.
Then, some men bridged the steams that could be bridged, pulverised the rocks that could be pulverised and smashed (the impediments that blocked the flow of water) those which could be smashed.
अचिरेण एव कालेन परिवाहान् बहु उदकान् |
चक्रुर् बहु विध आकारान् सागर प्रतिमान् बहून् || २-८०-११
11. achireNa kaalenaiva = within a short time; bahuun = many; pariivaahaan = water-courses; bahuvidhaakaaraan = in various kinds of shape; bahuudakaan = with plenty of water; saagara pratimaan = resembling a sea; chakruH = were built.
Many ponds, in various sizes and shapes containing plenty of water resembling seas were built (by constructing dams on rivulets).
निर्जलेषु च देशेषु खानयामासुरुत्तमान् |
उदपानान् बहुविधान् वेदिका परिमण्डितान् || २-८०-१२
12. nirjaleSu = In water-scarece; desheSu = areas; uttamaan = excellent; udapaanaan = wells; khaanayaamaasuH = were dug; bahuvidhaan = in various shapes; vedkaaparimaNDitaan = decorated all around with platforms.
In water-scarce areas, excellent wells in various shapes were dug duly decorated all around with platforms (to rest).
ससुधा कुट्टिम तलः प्रपुष्पित मही रुहः |
मत्त उद्घुष्ट द्विज गणः पताकाभिर् अलम्कृतः || २-८०-१३
चन्दन उदक संसिक्तः नाना कुसुम भूषितः |
बह्व् अशोभत सेनायाः पन्थाः स्वर्ग पथ उपमः || २-८०-१४
13; 14. saH panthaaH = that track; senaayaaH = of the troops; sudhaakuTTimatalaH = having its surface inlaid with cement; prapuSpita mahiiruhaH = with flowering trees (on both sides); mattodghuSTa dvijagaNaH = having birds in excitement making their sounds; alaNkR^itaH = adorned; pataakaabhiH = with flags (on either side); chandanodaka samsiktaH = sprinkled with sandalwood flavoured water; naanaakusuma bhuuSitaH = decorated with various kinds of flowers; bahu ashobhata = looked very much splendid; sura pathopamaH = resembling the path of celestials.
That track of the troops, having its surface inlaid with cement, with flowering trees inlaid with cement, with flowering trees on both sides, inhabited with birds in excitement making their sounds, adorned with flags on its either side with its surface sprinkled with water of sandal-wood fragrance, and decorated with various kinds of flowers, looked very much splendid like the path of celestials.
आज्ञाप्य अथ यथा आज्ञप्ति युक्ताः ते अधिकृता नराः |
रमणीयेषु देशेषु बहु स्वादु फलेषु च || २-८०-१५
यो निवेशः तु अभिप्रेतः भरतस्य महात्मनः |
भूयः तम् शोभयाम् आसुर् भूषाभिर् भूषण उपमम् || २-८०-१६
15; 16. te naraaH = those men; adhikR^itaaH = appointed for execution of the work; yathaaj^Napti = as ordered by Bharata; yuktaaH = skillfully; aajJNapya = instructed their work-men; atha = and thereafter; (erected); niveshaH = tent; yaH = which was; abhipretaH = intended; mahaatmanaH = for the great-souled; bharatasya = Bharata; ramaNiiyeSu = in beautiful; desheSu = places; bahusvaadu phaleSu = abundant with tasty fruits; (they_; shobhaayamaanuH = adorned; bhuuyaH = profusely; bhuuSaabhiH = with decorations; tam = the tent; bhuuSaNopamam = which resembled an ornament.
Those officers appointed for execution of the work, as ordered by Bharata, skillfully instructed their work-men and erected a tent which was intended for the great-souled Bharata, in a beautiful place abundant with tasty fruits. They further adorned profusely with decorations, the tent which itself resembled on ornament.
नक्षत्रेषु प्रशस्तेषु मुहूर्तेषु च तद्विदः |
निवेशम् स्थापयाम् आसुर् भरतस्य महात्मनः || २-८०-१७
17. tadvidaH = the connoisseurs; sthaapayaamaasuH = erected; niveshaan = the tents; mahaatmanaH = of the high-souled; bharatasya = Bharata; prashasteSu = in auspicious; nakshatreSu = stars; muhuurteSu = and moments.
The connoisseurs erected the tents of the high-souled Bharata at auspicious hours in days when the stars were propitious.
बहु पांसु चयाः च अपि परिखा परिवारिताः |
तन्त्र इन्द्र कील प्रतिमाः प्रतोली वर शोभिताः || २-८०-१८
प्रासाद माला सम्युक्ताः सौध प्राकार सम्वृताः |
पताका शोभिताः सर्वे सुनिर्मित महा पथाः || २-८०-१९
विसर्पत्भिर् इव आकाशे विटन्क अग्र विमानकैः |
समुच्च्रितैः निवेशाः ते बभुः शक्र पुर उपमाः || २-८०-२०
18; 19; 20. tatra = there; te = those; niveshaaH = camps; bahupaamsuchayaashcha api = with may moats surrounding them; pratoLiivara shobhitaaH = and streets as resplendent; indrakiilapratimaaH = as sapphires; praasaada malaavitataaH = the crown of terrets; soudha praakaara samvR^itaaH = the ramparts covered with stucco to protect them; pataakaashobhitaaH = the splendid banners; sunirmita mahaapathaaH = the skillfully laid out avenues; samuchhritraiH = lofty; viTaNkaagra vimaanakaiH = mansions; the tops of which were provided with dove-cots; sura visarpardhirva = which flew about; aakaashe = as it were in the air; babhuH = and in splendour; shakrapuropamaaH = resembled capitals of Indra.
Those camps, with many breast works of sand, moats surrounding each of them, streets as resplendent as sapphires, their crowns of terrets, the ramparts covered with stucco to protect then, the splendid banners, the skillfully laidout avenues, lofty mansions the tops of which were provided with dove-cots, which flew about as it were in the air and in splendour, resembled the capitals of Indra.
जाह्नवीम् तु समासाद्य विविध द्रुम काननाम् |
शीतल अमल पानीयाम् महा मीन समाकुलाम् || २-८०-२१
21. (the route thus prepared) samaasaadya = extended; jaahnaviim = upto the Ganga River; shitalamala paaniiyaam = whose pure and limpid waters; mahaamiinasamaakulaam = abounding in great fish; vividha drumakaananaam = (flowed) between woods and forests of every kind.
The route thus prepared, extended upto the Ganga River, whose pure and limpid waters, abounding in great fish, flowed between woods and forests of every kind.
सचन्द्र तारा गण मण्डितम् यथा |
नभः क्षपायाम् अमलम् विराजते |
नर इन्द्र मार्गः स तथा व्यराजत |
क्रमेण रम्यः शुभ शिल्पि निर्मितः || २-८०-२२
22. saH = that; ramyaH = beautiful; narendramaargaH = royal high way; shubha shilpinirmitaH = which was built gradually by excellent engineers; vyaraajata tathaa = appeared as resplendent; yathaa = as; kSapaayaam = as a night; amalam = in a clear; nabhaH = sky; viraajate = illumined; sachandra taraagaNamaNDitam = by the moon with its procession of stars.
That beautiful royal high way, which was built gradually by efficient engineers, appeared as resplendent as a night in a clear sky, illumined by the moon with its procession of stars.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे अशीतितमह् सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2003, K. M. K. Murthy